Is a tummy tuck recommended by the PS acutally necessary? (photo)

I am a 31 year old 5'1", 107lbs, mother of 3. While at my consult with the PS to schedule my breast implants I asked him if exercise would smooth out my belly. I have just started working out since I have had the time so getting back to my pre-prego weight was with normal activity and healthy diet. He said that was my only option was a tuck. I am not concerned about stretch marks and don't feel like my stomach protrudes to far out but I would like it to look smoother & without insicion line.

TT?

+3

Hi Brooklyn. If you don't want an incision then a TT is out of the question. I would give yourself a year of exercise and eating appropriately. If then still dissatisfied, would get a few more opinions as there are some mildly invasive techniques (liposuction) as well as non-invasive options like cool-sculpture.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck recommended by the PS acutally necessary?

+2

This is why a few ION PERSON evaluations are recommended. I believe Smart Lipo Triplex could improve your abdomen nicely.//

Is a tummy tuck recommended by the PS actually necessary?

+2

Continue working out and see if you can make improvement without surgery.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

You look great. Based on the pictures, you could consider a little liposuction in the love handle area if exercise does not help. But, it should be your choice. Good luck.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

When is a tummy tuck necessary?

+2

Hi Brooklyn4461

I think you've done well to get your abdomen to recover so well after your pregnancies. Although photos do not every replace a full examination, your photos do indicate few stretch marks (relatively) and not too much excess skin.

The main issue will be how much your rectus (6 pack ) muscles have separated in the midline. Very few women are able to get the muscles back together through exercise alone. A tummy tuck to correct the divarication (separation) often helps give a really flat tummy. If the muscles are not 'knitted' together well, then even losing the fat overlying the abdominal wall will not give a great result.

Your photos indicate that losing the extra fat on your tummy through diet and exercise is likely to give a good result. If you get down to a thin fat covering over your abdomen but you are still unhappy with the shape it is likely due to the muscle weakness and you might need the tummy tuck just to get that tightened up, more than removing any excess skin.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck needed?

+2

Overall it looks like your body has recovered well after your pregnancies. it doesn't look like you have a lot of extra skin but photos can be deceiving. You ned a good exam of the skin and muscles. Get additional consults if you are concerned about any recommendations.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Is tummy tuck necessary?

+2

Most of my tummy tuck patients wish they looked like you! Obviously, pregnancy can affect the condition of your abdominal musculature. Exercise can do only so much but I think your case appears marginal and believe that, at this time, you should accept that, after three children, you look pretty good. It all depends upon your definitions of acceptability and your comfort level with your appearance.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Is a tummy tuck necessary

+2

Hello and thank you for your question.

While photos are not a substitute for a thorough physical examination, it does not appear that you have significant skin excess. That being said, elasticity of the skin can not well be assessed by photos alone. Both of these things are taken into account when determining which procedure would be best for you. Your abdomen may bulge (very common after 3 pregnancies from stretching of the abdominal wall muscles) which can not be appreciated by these photos. If in fact it does, you would need a tummy tuck to make it flatter. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

How to know when a tummy tuck is needed

+2

First understand that none of the opinions you get online can answer the question definitively, and the only one who has actually examined you is your plastic surgeon. Keep in mind also that exercise tones muscles, not skin, and it also does not "spot reduce" localized areas of fat. If patients could achieve tummy tuck results with exercise then we would send them to the gym instead of the operating room! However, the trade-offs such as the scar and recovery time may not be worth it for cases where the skin laxity is not significant and there are no stretch marks. There are nonsurgical treatments such as Viora that may be helpful in those "in-between" cases.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck Necessary? #tummytuck

+2

Thanks for this question. I totally disagree. That being said I am not there to examine you or talk to you about what you are looking for. You appear to have pretty good muscle quality but can't really tell. Your abdominal skin looks like it is good quality and tight. I always have patients lose weight and adopt a healthy diet before going to the tummy tuck. You can lose a lot of that abdominal fat and smooth your stomach out if you just eat healthy and workout. I would then tell you liposuction may be a good option for you before a tummy tuck. But, if you said you wanted a tummy tuck and had done all you could to lose weight then sure, you would have a great result. This is all about matching what your goals are with the best way to get there. Just work out and eat well and I think in 6 months to a year you will have the flat tummy you want.

Richard J. Brown, MD