Is a Tummy Tuck Realisitc for Me at This Time..

I am 24 yrs old and 5ft6. I have 2 children and am not having anymore. I currently weight 218lbs and carry it in my lower abdomen. I also have super high hips. This weight is very normal for me because for the past 8 years it has ranged from 195-220lbs.My ideal weight would be 180-185 lbs. My question is if I got down to 200lbs even would I be able to get a tummy tuck. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Time for tummy tuck

+5

It seems like you are ready for the procedure and should go ahead.  If you know realistically that you can and will lose 20 pounds without difficulty you should try.  However if you are stuck at your weight as it is, I still feel you can go ahead as you will probably lose weight with the procedure and post operatively.  Also you will feel better about the way you look and will be more motivated  to do more. Good luck.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Overweight patients do fine with tummy tuck.

+4

Hi.

1)  On this one topic, my opinion is different from that of most of my colleagues.  Being overweight and having a hanging belly are two separate issues.  You state that this is your stable weight.  Going by your pictures, I think you can have a tummy tuck with liposuction of the love handles anytime

2)  We do tummy tucks on overweight patients using blood thinners to prevent complications.

3)  Having a flat stomach sometimes motivates women to lose more weight.  But telling you that you need to lose weight now is really telling you that you cannot have the surgery, and I don't agree with that position.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck

+4
I agree with the comments bellow. You seem to have realistic expectations and well educated about the topic. Once you reach your ideal weight, although it sounds like you're almost there, go for it!

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Ideal weight and tummy tuck

+3

Actually you would get a significant improvement if you had it now. However, it would be possible to remove more of your stretch marks if you lost weight first. This is a perennial question in body contouring surgery. The weight loss would have to be greater than 20 pounds for it to make much difference. 

J. Brian Boyd, MD

+3

To follow most of the experts, it is best to achieve a "realistic" weight. But from your so kindly posted photos you do not appear to be 218 lbs. I personally would have no issue at 200 lbs. but as long as we both have an informed consent. 

Tummy tuck candidate

+3

I strongly recommend that you wait until you can get your BMI to 30 or less which would be around 180-185lbs.  Your results will be dramatically better and you will substantially decrease your risk for complications such as skin loss/necrosis, blood clots to the legs and/or lungs, etc.  Some studies cite a 12 fold increase in complications in patients who are obese (BMI >30).  I know it isn't easy to do but for your overall health it is important, tummy tuck or not.  That being said, based on your photos you will be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck and should get really nice results.  Best of luck to you!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss, then tummy tuck

+3

Certainly you can benefit from tummy tuck now, however to get the best result you should be close to your ideal body weight, perhaps 150 pounds. Try to pick a goal you can achieve and stick with it, as I am sure you can do better than 200 pounds.

peterejohnsonmd

Look at your BMI

+3

We surgeons love to operate; however, you need to look at your BMI not what you think is a good weight for you. Your BMI is over 35 which puts you in the obese category. To get a really good result with a tummy tuck your BMI should be closer to 30 or below which would be around 180 pounds. So it all depends, you could have a tummy tuck now, but if you loose some weight, you would have a much better result.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

+2

Plastic surgeons generally prefer their patients to be at a healthy weight prior to their surgery.  This reduces the risks of surgery and improves the results.

Your weight is considerably higher than it should be.

Much of your fat is the especially unhealthy type, namely abdominal and intraabdominal fat.

You are best off losing a considerable amount of weight by diet and exercise before having a tummy tuck.

Brent Moelleken, MD

I am 5'6'' 24 years old and 218 lbs. Can I get a tummy yuck?

+2

Ideally it is better to get to your ideal weight but if you can't do that as long as you reduce your weight to 200 lbs, you could benefit from a lipo abdominoplasty and liposuction of your hips and flanks. Obviously you have to accept a slightly higher risk than an abdominoplasty alone. But the results could be good if done by an expert.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon