How Will I Look After Tummy Tuck, and Will I Need Insurance?

I am 24, 5'5, 160 lb. I've been thinking about getting a tummy tuck. What is the process, procedure, average cost, and expectations? I have been trying to lose the weight, but I become unmotivated by the lack of progress, and I have been going through this for over 10 years. The weight issue is causing me extra stress with my body, and I know that this procedure would make me make my body better, I just need to like how I look first. I also do not have insurance currently, is it needed? Thank you.

Tummy Tuck

+1

If you have loose skin that you would like addressed, a tummy tuck can be performed.  I think that costs will probably range from $6500 to $12000.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tucks

+1

and other body contouring procedures should only be done when you are at a weight that you can maintain easily.  As for predicting what you will look like, that is an impossible task without imaging software and that still doesn't tell you what you will look like.  You will have less rolls and fat but this procedure often requires revisions to achieve perfect results.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

Jessie--

It is hard to try to answer how you may look without the benefit of photos. A TT will remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal wall, and allow tightening of the abdominal muscles. 

Insurance is not an issue, since a TT is a cosmetic procedure and is note covered. 

Process--choose a surgeon, have a consultation (or more than one). If you agree with the proposal, set up a preop visit, and a surgery day. Expect 10-14 days off work if work is not physical, up to six weeks otherwise. Fees vary by location, and by surgeon. Expect $8,000 and up. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Tummy tuck basics

+1

Hard to tell without exam or photos.  Abdominoplasty is good for those with extra skin.  The abdominal muscles can also be put back together, (plication).  Tummy tucks are almost never covered by insurance.  You should try and get on some sort of insurance just in case you get sick.  Best to talk to a board certified plastic surgeon.  They will help guide you through the process.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thank you for your question. Without an exam and photos it is hard to answer your question. Insurances do not pay for tummy tucks.Consult a board certified plastic surgeon ibn your area and get a fee quote. Good luck. Thomas Narsete, M.D.  Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Recovery

+1

Tummy Tuck surgery is not covered by insurance.  Surgeon fees vary depending on location in the country.  You will have a surgeon's fee, operating room fee, and an anesthesia fee.  You can expect to take off at least 2 weeks from work, depending on what you do.  This is an average.  Best of luck to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Dear Jessie, the most important questions are; do you have any children now and do you plan to have any kids in the feature?.  If you plan to have kids, you should probably wait.  But as far as the weight loss is concerned, if you have plateaued, can not loose anymore weight and you have loose hanging skin, then you are a good candidate.   Your BMI also qualifies you.  To tighten the muscle or not depends on the questions I asked earlier.  If you have had kids and the muscles have separated, plication is in order.   If you have not and/or plan to have kids in the feature, then a skin only tummy tuck is the way to go.  The cost of your procedure varies based on location and the answer to above questions, typically around $5000-10,000 (that should cover all your fees except prescriptions).   We buy a form of cosmetic surgery insurance for all our patients (covers you for 30 days after surgery), so you don't need your own insurance.  Hope was able to help.

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD