Can I Have a Tummy Tuck with 3 Previous C-sections and 2 Bowel Resections?

I have an extensive history of my abdomen. I had a csection in 1991 which resulted in a perforated bowel with toxic megacolon 5 ft of my small/ large intestine was resected. My 2nd c-section no difficulties through bikini scar. 3rd CS dr went through 1991 scar and resulted in perforation of bowel

Tummy tucks are often performed with prior abdominal surgeries

+2

Tummy Tucks are often performed in women who have had extensive prior abdominal surgeries. This is an opportunity to not only rejuvenate the abdomen in appearance and contour, but to reduce the visible scars. In the hands of a Board Certified plastic surgeon, you should not experience another bowel perforation because the abdominal wall tightening is performed on the outer surface of the abdominal wall. The abdomen should not be entered. If you have a hernia, then it can be repaired at the same time. I would suggest that you visit a Board Certified plastic surgeon to get a complete evaluation and a detailed discussion of your specific situation.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after c-sections

+1

You are an excellent candidate to make your tummy look a lot better. I usually use some of the cuts that you have already had to do a modified and not classic tummy tuck. You will greatly benefit from reapproximating your muscles. I am offering a temporary price reduction for all cosmetic surgery including excellent financing. I am also predident of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons. Watch my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty After Extensive Bowel Surgery

+1

You should be able to have an abdominoplasty, but it will be pretty difficult and must be planned very carefully.  I would avoid touching your actual abdominal wall ( muscle wall), since the chance of having scar tissue and adhesions from the bowel are extremely high.  This should not effect the skin/fat/scars that need to be addressed, and should be able to be improved.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

See a good plastic surgeon for consideration of tummy tuck after multiple surgeries

+1

Since the tummy tuck procedure doesn't go into the abdomen there shouldn't be a significant risk with the procedure despite your mutliple previous abdominal surgeries. However, there are some issues relating to the scars, so I would suggest you see a plastic surgeon who does a lot of abdominoplasty work and have a detailed discussion. It should work out but there are limits to how much I can advise without seeing you.

Richard Baxter, MD

Something can be done

+1

You will not be a typical tummy tuck -- I would have you medically cleared first and we would want to make sure that your abdominal wall(the muscles) are intact. The whole vertical scar will be cut out and you will end up with a better looking abdomen, but you will have not only a horizontal scar but also a new vertical one. This will be like an anchor abdominoplasty. Your tummy should look a lot better than it does now -- but it will be more extensive than a standard tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD