Tummy Tuck with Previous Blood Clot Question

I want to have a tummy tuck but back in 2006 I had a hysteroctomy and got a pulmonary embolism....Are my risk of getting a blood clot higher? I am 35 years old and my tummy is streatched due to having 2 children. Do you recommend any doctors?

TUMMY TUCK AFTER BLOOD CLOT

+1
Unfortunately having a pulmonary embolism previously does increase the possibility of having another one but it does not automatically preclude you from having a tummy tuck.  For patients with a history of PE extra precautions need to be taken before and during surgery and extra monitoring is required postoperatively as well.  In my practice I have operated on patients with complicated medical histories that include PE’s but I do require those patients to obtain surgical clearance from another physician before having any type of surgery.  Getting the additional clearance may not be convenient but it is extremely important for your own safety.  It may be tempting to omit the PE from your previous medical history so you appear to be a better surgery candidate, but I strongly urge you and everyone else to be completely honest about any and all medical conditions to avoid complications either during or after surgery.  Research only board certified plastic surgeons and then schedule a consultation for a thorough physical examination to make sure that you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

PE trouble.

+1

Your Prior PE puts you at risk and should contact your Surgeon and your Doctor to discuss the risks of your case as well as what could be expected from the result best and worst case.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

Tummy Tuck with history Of Pulmonary Embolism?

+1

You are certainly at greater risk for thromboembolic complications given your history;  However, tummy tuck surgery is not necessarily contraindicated.  I  would suggest preoperative evaluation by your internist/hematologist. If you are not found to be a high risk for recurrent embolism then surgery can be considered with perioperative precautions taken.

Yes you are at greater risk however precautions can be made

+1

Robbie- You are at greater risk due to your prior PE, however that does not mean you can not have surgery.  Make sure you advise your Plastic Surgeon as well as your internist of your prior condition and plans for elective surgery.  Testing can be done to determine possible reasons for your prior PE and precautions can be made for you.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Yes, greater risk

+1

You are certainly at greater risk for pulmonary embolus.  You should get clearance from your primary

care before having surgery.  You need to discus this with you plastic surgeon to be sure the he/she is

comfortable with this situation.  During the surgery you should have compression stockings at all times.

You should also be on a blood thinner begining the day of the surgery.  You should be out of bed

at least 3 times a day or more.  You should have your blood clotting ability checked before the surgery.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Surgery and history of blood clots

+1

This is a critical piece of information for your doctor. Risks factors are routinely assessed at the time of your consultation to help understand teh possibility of complications with your surgery.

Having a blood clot form during surgery is a serious problem and is something which needs to be evaluated prior to surgery as your risks are higher. Other factors which can increase risk are birth control pills or the presence of  a clotting disorder of the blood.

You will need to have your risk assessed by both your surgeon and your medical doctor. The procedure can most likely be done with additional precautions taken by your surgeon. This could be the addition of a blood thinning agent in the immediate pre and post operative period.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you through this and achieve the results you desire.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Previous pulmonary embolism--Is tummy tuck advisable?

+1

I'm glad you asked this question, as you do have increased risk for repeat blood clots, and elective surgery should not be done without first reducing the risks we are aware of to a maximal degree. You should ask your internist to check for reasons you had the initial PE with your hysterectomy (destroyed leg vein valves and DVT; Factor V Leiden; etc.) and see what recommendations for risk reduction are made (Lovenox, etc.).

Your chosen plastic surgeon should also be aware of this history, and will take precautions of his own (plexipulse boots, compression stockings, Lovenox, etc.) to help minimize these risks.

One choice is to not have this elective surgery, and that should always be considered, but only after first ascertaining the relative risk. If you smoke, stop now, as nicotine use multiplies this and other risks.

Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Pulmonary embolism

+1

Any patient with a previous history of pulmonary embolism is at increased risk for the development of an embolism with surgery. Check with your surgeon and internist prior to making any decisions.

Jay M. Pensler, MD