Will a Tummy Tuck Affect Possible Pregnancy?

I am scheduled to have a tummy tuck in March, although I am uncertain if I'll have more children.

What are the main risks in getting pregnant after a tummy tuck, and is there a possibility that the results of the tummy tuck will hold after the pregnancy?

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure.  In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck.  Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps. 

No issues but reverse

+1

A tummy tuck might be reversed after pregnancy but there is no true danger should you get pregnant after a tummy tuck, just know that if you do, some of the effects of the tummy tuck will be reversed .

Jonathan Fisher, MD

Pregnancy Not Affected by Tummy Tuck

+1

There should be no problems relating to the Tummy Tuck and  having a full term pregnancy and give birth to a healthy child. following a tummy tuck, but if you plan on being pregnant in a few years you should probably wait until your last pregnancy is finished. A pregnancy may reverse  some of the benefits of the tummy tuck  A  tummy tuck revision can be done after your last  pregnancy.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy Tucks - Wait till you are done with kids

+1

Dear Anabelle,

It is in your best interest to reserve the tummy tuck until you are done having children. (This is a simplistic view, but it makes the point.) Children stretch out the abdomen, and normally this results in stretch marks on the lower abdomen. When a tummy tuck is performed, the "normal" upper abdominal skin is stretched out to cover the full abdomen. This makes the skin thinner, and resets the tone. If you have another child, you will again likely get stretch marks, they will probably be worse (covering a larger area of the abdomen), and it is unlikely that you will be able to get rid of all of them with a repeat tummy tuck. My advice is that if you are planning another child, hold off on the tummy tuck. If you happened to have performed a tummy tuck and your plans regarding children changed, don't stress too much - children are wonderful and are worth all of the efforts involved! (At that point you can consider what to do next regarding your abdomen - but it is not the "most ideal" scenario.)

I hope gathering all these opinions helps form your own.

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Pregnancies after tummy tucks

+1

Anabelle,

This is a very common question, and the answer -- in my opinion -- is quite simple: wait until you are done having children.

You can become pregnant after a tummy tuck, and it will not adversely affect your child, but you will undo everything you have achieved with the tummy tuck. So you will have wasted your time, money and recovery on the operation. And having another tummy tuck after the pregnancy, may not give you as good a result because of how the pregnancy will expand the already contoured abdominal wall.

If you are not sure about more children, wait on the tummy tuck until you are. The tummy tuck is an elective operation -- there's no rush to have this done (from a medical standpoint). So, wait until you know for sure. I'm sure your plasitc surgeon would give you this same advice.

Best always,

David B.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before having more pregnancies not the best idea

+1

I have had a few patients who did not plan to have another child, but did and there were no problems with it after having had a tummy tuck, so you shouldn't worry about that.

However, the tissues will likely stretch out again, which is unavoidable because the hormones of pregnancy are designed to allow that sort of stretching for the process of childbirth. But having had a tummy tuck previously, doing another one may not work out as well, so the best advice is to wait until you are sure.

Richard Baxter, MD

Pregnancy will tend to undo the results of your tummy tuck

+1

Having a tummy tuck will not prevent you from getting pregnant and will likely not affect your pregnancy. However, the stretching of your skin and muscles with pregancy will tend to undo the results and you may have to redo the surgery. If you feel that there is a pretty good chance that you will have another child, then it would be best to wait until your family is complete before having your abdominoplasty.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Becoming pregnant after a tummy tuck.

+1

I have had 3 patients unintentionally become pregnant after a tummy tuck, one of them being my office staff. In all cases, the results of the tummy tuck did not hold but I beleive the outcomes were not as severe as their prior pregnancies. I attribute this to greater awareness about nutrition and limiting weight gain during their subsequent pregnancies. In only one of these patients, my office staff member, did I repeat the tummy tuck. I have on occasion repeated full tummy tucks on previous patients who have had tummy tucks.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

I am not aware that there ant increased risks to being pregnant after a tummy tuck.  The only real problem is in stretching out the result and possible needing to redo it.  Of course, there are times this won't be necessary but this can't be predicted reliably. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS