Tummy Tuck - Is a Successful Pregnancy Possible After This Procedure?

I did a tummy tuck over a year ago, and now I would like to try to have a baby. Can I carry a full term pregnancy after a tummy tuck?

Previous tummy tuck should not interfer with a full term pregnancy

+2

This is a good question. The purpose of a tummy tuck is to take extra skin one has and to tighten the muscles that have become lax. So if you think about it, now after your tummy tuck your body was put back as is was previously. If you were able to carry a full term pregnancy previously, then the tummy tuck should not interfer with you carrying another full term pregnancy.

If you still have some questions you can either ask your OB/GYN or the surgeon who had preformed your tummy tuck.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

All the best.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Short answer is yes

+2

I know of no reason why this would be a problem, but expect that your abdominal shape will change dramatically after the pregnancy and you will likely benefit from another abdominoplasty later on.

This shouldn't be a problem

+2

It is certainly not ideal to become pregnant AFTER a tummy tuck but there is no medical reason not to.  The problem is that you will stretch the skin and muscle again and might eventually need to redo the tummy tuck later.

Impact of tummy tuck on pregnancy

+1

The tummy tuck procedure will in no way impact the pregnancy and you can carry it to term. It might undo some of the results of the tummy tuck. Some of my patients did have stretch marks, some loose skin which could be addressed with a minor procedure. Some did not need any correction at all.

I do advise my patients to avoid a pregnancy for at least a year following the procedure, which is the same in your case.

India Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck

+1

Successful Pregnancy is Possible After a Tummy Tuck

You can absolutely have a full term pregnancy and give birth to a healthy child following a tummy tuck, but if you plan on being pregnant in a few years you should probably wait until your last pregnancy is finished. A pregnancy may reverse  some of the benefits of the tummy tuck  A  tummy tuck revision can be done after your last  pregnancy.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body/tummy-tuck/

Successful Pregnancy Possible After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is better to have your tummy tuck after pregnancy because pregnancy will stretch your skin and muscles so that you may need a second tummy tuck in the future.

However, I have had several patients who got pregnant after a tummy tuck, one with twins, and experienced no problems.

Pregnancy after a tummy tuck

+1

You can absolutely carry a pregnancy to term following a tummy tuck. The pregnancy is likely to disturb the results of your tuck, however, it won't affect the pregnancy.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Having had a tummy tuck procedure still allows you to have a successful pregnancy. Unfortunately, the only down side is that it could cause the need for revisionary surgery. Plastic surgery does not guarantee permanent results and another pregnancy could cause muscle diastasis and change the results of your previous surgery. Good luck.

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Having a previous tummy tuck will have no affect on a future pregnancy. The biggest concern when becoming pregnant after having a tummy tuck is that the results from that initial tummy tuck may be compromised and may require a revision. Typically plastic surgeons will recommend that you wait to have a tummy tuck until after you are finished having children. Depending on the elasticity of your skin and the laxity of the muscles after pregnancy you may or may not need another tummy tuck.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Typically a pregnancy can be satisfactorily accomplished after a tummy tuck. There will be some compromise in your surgical outcome and you might eventually need another tuck down the road. However in my experience, having observed this in several patients over the years, their results after the pregnancy were still better than prior to undergoing the tummy tuck.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon