Can I Still Have Kids After Tummy Tuck?

I've been thinking about having a Tummy Tuck. Can I still have kids after it?

Probably yes, but you might need the work redone

From my experience and the experiences of plastic surgeon colleagues I have talked to, women having unexpected pregnancies after tummy tucks have done fine; however, the tummy tuck often needed to be redone.

The number of women experiencing childbirth after TT is small, so we don't fully know the risks involved. So why incur a possible risk to the fetus by having a TT before an anticipated pregnancy?

It is better for those reasons to wait until after all the children are born to have a TT.

Women who have a pannus, or grossly hanging skin, are usually good candidates for having the pannus removed, even if they anticipate having more children.

Safe Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck

Safe Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck
Yes, you can definitely have children after a tummy tuck. However, we generally recommend that you get this procedure done after you are finished having your last child, as pregnancy will reverse the results of the procedure.
Candidates are usually patients who are healthy but have EXCESS SKIN OR FAT that does not respond to diet and exercise. Patients who have undergone SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS and have hanging skin. Women with loose skin and stretch marks FOLLOWING PREGNANCY. Anyone with LOSS OF SKIN ELASTICITY. Patients who are unable to tighten the abdominal wall with exercise. If you have loose or sagging abdominal wall skin; often associated with relaxation of the anterior abdominal wall muscles (frequently secondary to multiple pregnancies).

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Can I Still Have Kids After Tummy Tuck?

Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure.  In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck.  Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Best wishes.

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck

Absolutely. However, I normally advise patients to wait until they've had children before considering a tummy tuck because the results can be adversely affected. 

Children after tummy tuck

You can have children, but do you really want to possibly have to go through the surgery a second time? I have done this, but you should go into the procedure with your eyes  open as to the possibility.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

If you are thinking of children in near future then delay abdominoplasty

If you are unhappy with your abdomen now then you certainly will be after having children. Therefore if it is highly likely you will require two tummy tucks.  Why would you put yourself through this?

Yes, but.....

A tummy tuck won't interfere with child bearing or conception.

The problem is that after getting pregnant, the cosmetic results may be affected and a secondary tummy tuck is difficult.

Yes, but then you may need another tummy tuck.

In New York City, we have seen 2 or 3 women who went through pregnancy and childbirth without any trouble after a tummy tuck.  But the benefits of the abdominoplasty are undone by the pregnancy.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy-tuck before Pregnancy

Tummy-tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, is the best way to get rid of excess abdominal skin. Most candidates for this procedure have lost large amounts of weight or have had one or more babies in their past. If you are planning to become pregnant in the future, it's best to wait until you are done having babies before having a tummy-tuck. Pregnancy will stretch the abdominal skin and muscles, and you may wind up with the same problem all over again. If, however, your problem is not due to skin excess, but is rather a fullness due to excess deposits of fat under the skin, you may want to consider liposuction. Liposuction can help give a better shape to the abdomen without removing skin or altering the abdominal muscle structure.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon