Can a Tummy Tuck Be Performed on Anyone?

I've had a big belly for as long as I can remember. Everything I eat or drink goes right to my stomach making it look big. I weigh about 220 and 5'9 in height. My waist right now is a 36" I've dropped 30lbs before but never really obtaining a six pack or a flat tummy. When loosing weight my legs and arms go first then my buttock and face, then my waistline last. I'm very happy with my weight just would like smaller love handles and a smaller belly with out looking sick. Can you help me?

Candidacy for tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tuck is done to give a better abdominal contour by getting rid of excess skin and fat and by tightening the stretched out muscle.  It is a great procedure for patients who are good candidates. In order to have a great result, patients need to be 1) healthy and medically optimized, and 2) stable at their goal weight for at least 3 months.  If you can get to BMI of 25, your result will be better.  Please visit a board-certified plastic surgeon so that she/he can evaluate you and give you a recommendation.

Do you qualify for a tummy tuck?

+1

Dear Ericee,

I would like to congratulate you on your abilities to lose 30 lbs.

The ideal weight is that you would reach 165-170 lbs and maintain it. Simply, if you were to undergo a tummy tuck at 200 lbs and then you lose more weight, possible excess skin will form and you results will not optimal.

Moreover, if you are planning to have children after your surgery, then results could be altered as well and you may need to undergo a similar surgery again.

Nonetheless, without a physical examination it is hard to determine the laxity of your skin and the skin excess you have hence your candidacy.

Therefore, I advise you to seek a consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience who will examine you and guide you to make the best informed decision that will fit your body.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck with liposuction of flanks by a board certified plastic surgeon

+1

I would recommend getting down to your goal body weight before having any type of cosmetic body contouring surgery. You should also meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and view as many before and after photos and videos so you fully understand the procedure and it's scar. The only way to know which procedure is best for you is to be examined by one or more plastic surgeons who have extensive experience with this procedure.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

You need to be seen

+1

It is impossible to tell what you need without seeing you. As has been pointed out your BMI makes you not the best candidate for a tummy tuck, but perhaps something else can be done. Also, have you ever gone to a nutritionist to discuss your diet? It might help you with your weight problem. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Dear ericee,

From the information that you furnished your BMI is 32. The desired BMI is 25. Your number means that you are significantly overweight. To improve on your waist and abdomen you have 2 options - tummy tuck or liposuction. A good candidate for tummy tuck has skin laxity and muscle laxity. You will have to be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who will assess your condition. If you have the above mentioned anatomy, you are a candidate for tummy tuck. Otherwise, you can be a candidate for liposuction.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate

+1
The criteria in determining whether you are a viable candidate for tummy tuck include basic health considerations and whether you have reached a weight at which you are comfortable. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. If you have any medical concerns, I'd recommend first speaking with your internist to make sure that there are no contraindications to surgery. Best. Dr K

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

Thank you for your question. An in person consultation is required to determine if you are a candidate. During the consultation, a history and physical will be taken to ensure you are in good health. Moreover, your objectives will be reviewed to ensure that they can be achieved. Your mental and health stability will also be evaluated to ensure that you can handle the surgery.  Your weight will be checked, and the surgeon will ensure that you are at your long term stable weight. To understand your options, you should consult with 3 - 4 experienced and reputable board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

As you can imagine, precise advice regarding candidacy for a surgical procedure will involve a full history and physical examination.

Safety concerns are always the first priority when considering a patient's candidacy for a surgical procedure. If you are medically and psychologically stable, and have reached a long-term stable weight then you may be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.

I would suggest an in-person consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.