Tummy Tuck from NHS?

I am almost 27 years old and I have had two pregnancies, first being twins when I was 23, and my second when I was 25. I have been left with a overhang and my tummy muscles are stretched. I have had physio and dieted, but to no avail. I am due to have a private consultation for a full Tummy Tuck, but wondered if in this instance I would be considered for the via the NHS. This affects my day to day life and I am being treated for depression. Doctors have told me I will not lose this, and my tummy will not return. Should I approach the GP?

Insurance will not usually cover tummy tuck surgery

+2

Although there are common and permanent sequelae of pregnancy women face, including stretch marks, lower abdominal bulge and "rectus diastasis" (separation of the rectus abdominis muscles), insurance will not usually cover the costs of surgery.

Rarely, if you have a confirmed "hernia" (protrusion of your intestines through a weakening or opening on your abdominal wall fascia), your insurance company may cover only part of this procedure to repair this specific defect.

However, a national health care system will likely encourage you to see a General Surgeon or other specialist for the hernia repair alone.

For the best cosmetic results, I would encourage you to see a Plastic Surgeon who is trained not only at addressing the deep changes of pregnancy and will tighten your abdominal wall fascia, but the external cosmetic results such as skin excision and contouring of the upper and lower abdomen.

Insurance coverage for a tummy tuck?

+1

Very few insurers cover cosmetic surgery. A tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure nd is rarely covered by insurance. As far as the depression, please discuss that with your GP and follow his/her recommendations.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon