Can I Have a Tummy Tuck Even if I am Planning on Having Kids Later?

I am 34 yr old single lady, I have not had a kid yet but still am prayerful about a marriage and possibly a kid. I am nearing a 130lb weight loss and wondering if a Tummy Tuck will prevent or restrict me from having kids in the future.

Pregnancy after a Tummy-tuck

+2

I would encourage you to seriously consider a tummy-tuck at this juncture in your life.  I believe the benefits out-way the small possibility that you might need some additional work after a pregnancy.  There is no medical reason to wait, it will not hinder a pregnancy.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck prior to pregnancy.

+1

I have had 3 patients proceed to have unintended and subsequently uncomplicated pregnancies following a tummy tuck. If this is your choice, please be aware you may need a second tummy tuck after pregnancy to restore the appearance of your abdomen.

Tummy Tuck Timing

+1

Hi there-

Congratulations on your weight loss- quite an achievement.

With regard to the appropriate timing of a tummy tuck, there a few considerations, an no one correct answer for all patients...

If your goal is to look as good as possible as soon after your weight loss is complete as possible, and don't mind the possibility that after you have a few children you may need the tummy tuck revised, and especially if you do not have plans for a family in the near future, then I would say you would be okay to proceed once you are at a stable weight. There should not be significant risk to you or your baby of becoming pregnant after a tummy tuck (other than possibly needing a revision).

If, on the other hand, you either have plans to start a family within the next year or two, or if the idea of needing to revise your tummy tuck after babies is objectionable to you, then I would wait.

Again- congratulations!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1

If you are planning on having kids in the next year or so, it might be best to wait before having a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty.  However, if kids are in the future, then there is no reason to hold off on the procedure.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy Tuck Even if I am Planning on Having Kids Late

+1

Great results from weight loss 130 pounds WOW! Yes you can have a tummy tuck but it is best to have a very excellent informed consent prior to the operation especially discussing the possible outcomes of future pregnancies. If than you are satisfied than go get it! Best of Luck. 

Tummy tuck before childbearing

+1

There are many women in your situation after major weight loss. You want to look good now, not knowing what the future may bring. I frequently perform skin-only abdominoplasty (leaving the muscles alone) in women with severe skin excess who are planning on becoming pregnant. I have also done full abdominoplasties on women with muscle tightening who unexpectedly became pregnant. I have seen no issues on the pregnancy at all. There is always a chance of recurrent abdominal protuberance from pregnancy, weight gain and aging.

Hayley Brown, MD

Tummy tuck after weight loss works despite future pregnancy

+1

After a very significant weight loss, the skin can become very saggy and deflated, and tummy tuck can have wonderful rewards in restored confidence. Pregnancy should not be an issue, as there will still be sufficient give to allow a normal course. I would not even worry about the 'need' for a second tummy tuck. You've lost the weight, look well and be confident, enjoy your life and the prospect of a family.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy Tuck before Pregnancy

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  You certainly could benefit from a TT following a 130# weight loss and this should not present any functional problems with a future pregnancy.  Be aware, however, that pregnancy(s) might lead to need for another TT.

John Whitt, MD

You may have the tummy tuck now

+1

You need to have tummy tuck to remove the excess skin from lower abdomen. This is very common post massive weight loss and will not prevent you from getting pregnant later. You may need another tummy tuck or revision later.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Here are the options

+1

If you have lost this amout of weight usually surgery is the only way to remove the excess skin.  Also since you have probably lost a large amount of intra-abdominal fat your muscles may be streached.  Having the procedure done before having children is an option however it may need to be repeated after you have your family.  If having children is years away you can go for it now

Robert D. Goldstein, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon