Can Tummy Tuck Be Performed Twice?

I am 26 years old, 5'4" tall and 125 pounds. I was told that if I am planning for pregnancy (which I am not for at least another 5-6 years), I should wait because usually tummy tuck cannot be done again. I am wondering if that is true?

Secondary abdominoplasty can be performed

+1

A "tummy tuck" or abdominoplasty removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen and tightens the muscle layer.  This is typically an issue women deal with after pregnancy although another indication for abdominoplasty is massive weight loss in men and women. In the case of post partum changes, it is highly recommended that women wait until they are done having children before having an abdominoplasty. A secondary abdominoplasty can be performed but it is usually a modified version of the initial procedure and may result in additional scarring.

You can do a TT twice

+1

However, if i thougth it likely that my patient would get pregnant, i would not tighten the fascia. unless you have a reasonable amount of loose skin from losing a significant amount of wt, it may be that you can wait on having your TT until after you finish having your children.

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

A Tummy Tuck IS best done AFTER you complete your family

+1

A FULL Tummy Tuck is done by lifting the skin/fat off the underlying abdominal muscles, putting separated,outstretched muscles back together, removing all loose tummy skin and relocating the belly button to a new position in the skin which was pulled lower. The result is a tight tummy, narrow more defined waist and smoother anterior upper thighs.

Because pregnancy is associated with muscle separation and stretching of skin, it is best to get the operation AFTER you are done having children. If you do get pregnant after a tummy tuck there will be a partial to complete reversal of the effects of the tummy tuck. A re-do tummy tuck IS possible but involves more work than the first one and the skin tightening may result in a vertical scar from the old position of the belly button.

It is technically possible to repeat a Tummy Tuck but there are some drawbacks.

+1

Yes, it is technically possible to have a second Tummy Tuck but the results may not be as good as the first time. Specifically, on the second go around it can be difficult to position the scar as low as one might like it and there also may have to be a vertical scar in conjunction with the traditional horizontal scar. The patient must be informed of these shortcomings before either having or planning to have a second Tummy Tuck.

David A. Ross, MD