Tummy Tuck for Patient with Hernia After C-section?

I have had 2 C-sections (2004 and 2008). After my last c-section, I developed an ileus. Because I was so bloated, my intestines pushed through the internal incisions, therefore causing a hernia.

After having that repaired, my stomach hangs and it still looks like I'm pregnant 2 years later. The bottom of my stomach is actually almost square like. Would I be a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck. I have Tricare Prime and the likelyhood of them approving it almost slim to none.

Repair of Abdominal Hernia with Tummy Tuck

+2

It seems that after repair of your abdominal hernia you are now left with excess skin folds. You are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck. I usually perform both the repair of the abdominal hernia and tummy tuck at the same time.

Tummy tuck and hernia repair surgery

+2

You would most likely benefit from a full tummy tuck.

The hernia repair would need to be redone most likely.  We usually have a general surgeon do that part of the surgery and keep the patient in the hospital overnnight for safety.

Assuming your health is good, you could anticipate a very nice result.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tighten That Tummy

+1

It is uncommon for insurance to pay for an Abdominoplasty. On occasion a Panniculectomy or removal of hanging loose excess lower abdominal skin may be covered if there are significant health issues. I would recommend you contact customer service at your health insurance agency.

You sound like an excellent candidate for a standard Abdomonoplasty. Set up a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgery in your area.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Skin Wall laxity

+1

I would agree with my colleagues that, without reviewing your photos, it sounds as if you would achieve a great outcome with a tummy tuck. I am not familar with Tricare and you may want to discuss any problems such as skin fold irritation or discomfort of the redundant skin apron.

Tummy Tuck After C-Section

+1

Not having seen any photos, but judging from your description, I would think that you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

In most cases the lower transverse c-section incision can be removed during the tummy tuck and you will have a single incision down low.

Hope this helps you.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Unsightly abdomen after surgery

+1

Yes you would be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck. The old scars can be removed, and the abdomen can easiy be sculpted by removing excess fat and skin, while tightening the muscle layers.

You are describing a cosmetic deformity, not a medical problem per se, so don't count on insurance to pay for it.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tummy tucks common after C-sections

+1

Your situation sounds like a common one except for the fact that the hernia has already been repaired. You would likely still need a full abdominoplasty but if there is no muscle tightening needed because of the previous hernia repair then your recovery should be faster. You are right that insurance won't cover it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck and hernia

+1

Your description of still looking pregnant after hernia repair following C-Section is very common. Most of the time there is no longer a hernia. The loose skin from the hernia just bunches up above the incision. A tummy tuck will usually correct the problem. Occasionally, there will be some hernia left. If this is the case, it can be repaired at the same time.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck following c-sections and hernia repair

+1

Although an exam or a photograph would be helpful, it certainly sounds as if you would benefit from a tummy tuck from your description of your problem. It is not uncommon to have a tummy tuck performed following C-sections. Some of the deformity you describe may be due to muscle weakness or separation. This can be addressed during a tummy tuck as well as removing your extra skin.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck and hernia repair after c-section

+1

Without photos we can only give a generalized response of YES. But go see 3 boarded plastic surgeons to get an in person opinion. Regards.