Tummy Tuck for Patient with Heart Murmur?

I have a minor heart murmur and 75 lbs overweight. After having four children, my last was by c-section. Am I eligible for a Tummy Tuck?

Tummy Tuck in an overweight patient

+2

J-mom,

Thanks for the question. While a minor heart murmur is likely to be a benign condition and one that will not preclude you from undergoing an abdominoplasty, I would certainly recommend that you obtain medical clearance by either an internist or cardiologist prior to undergoing any invasive surgical procedure.

I would encourage you to lose weight prior to undergoing an abdominoplasty as this will add to the overall result with better delineation of your abdominal contour. I recommend consulting with your plastic surgeon. She or he should be able to assist you in devising a nutritional plant to lose weight or at least refer you to the appropriate nutritional experts that will devise a personalized pre-procedural nutritional schemata.

Tummy tuck with a Heart Murmur and Overweight

+1

Dear J-mom,

If it really is a minor heart murmur, it may not be an issue with you undergoing an abdominoplasty operation. You might require medical clearance by an internist or cardiologist to be sure the murmur does not pose a risk with anesthesia.

A more important issue is your weight. Body contouring surgery when you are overweight does not provide the results you hope to achieve. Cosmetic surgery is not a form of weight loss, but rather contouring surgery. You will get a much better (and safer) result if you proceed with the tummy tuck when your weight is back at the ideal weight for your frame.

Best regards,

Dr. B

Web reference: http://www.drmichaelbogdan.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck.cfm

Tummy tuck

+1

Possibly but you will need to consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon in your area.  If he/she determines you are a good candidate for the surgery he or she will probably ask for a note from your medical doctor indicating your murmur poses no problem.