I Have a Scarred, Ugly Belly Button. Will Getting A Tummy Tuck Give Me A New One Or Will I Have To Keep the Original One?

The reason why I want to know is because back in 2009 I had umbilical hernia surgery and the doctor left my belly button all deformed like a triangle even though before the surgery I had an ovally, circle, cute shape. Then later I found out I never had the hernia to begin with, he just confused my diastasis recti for a hernia so now i'm stuck with an ugly belly button for life. So my main concern is will getting a tummy tuck fix my bellybutton as well and remove the scar right under it?

Your belly button can be improved during a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photographed. Your belly button can be improved to look much better during the course of a tummy tuck. He will still have your original belly button but it will look like a new belly button and be much improved.

be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, who is experienced in tummy tuck, and has an excellent reputation and your community. Be sure to discuss your goals and desires for your belly button at the time of your consultation.

Umbilical scar

+1

The skin is divided and free from the underlying abdominal wall, in order to advance down as a unit.  An incision is made around the umbilicus skin, however the stalk is still attached to the abdominal wall, then brought through a new skin button. This will give the surgeon an opportunity to create a more appealing scar.  Do discuss this with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Tummy Tuck and Belly Buttons

+1

Since we try to create a natural belly button during a tummy tuck, it is quite possible that yours will look significantly better after abdominoplasty than before. The deformity you describe is probably due to scar. This can be removed during the tummy tuck unless you basically lost your belly button from the hernia surgery. If that is the case, your belly button can be rebuilt.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Belly Buttons and Tummy Tucks

+1

It is very likely that your belly button will look better after a tummy tuck.  It would be very helpful for your plastic surgeon to have the operative record from the hernia surgery to help ascertain whether the belly button was completely detached or not.  That will influence what can be done and how it would be done.  It is also possible that a revision of your belly button without a full tummy tuck might improve your appearance.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Tummy tuck after umbilical hernia repair

+1

Tummy tucks after umbilical hernia repairs can be tricky depending on how "aggressive" the general surgeon was during fixing you hernia.  Often general surgeons will detach the umbilicus then fix the hernia and then sew the belly button back down to the abdominal wall.  This serves to greatly limit the PS options during a tummy tuck as we often rely on the blood supply from the base of the belly button (cut during the hernia repair).  You definitely need to discuss this with your PS. 

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Belly button appearance after tummy tuck

+1

When a full tummy tuck is performed, an incision is made around the belly button, it is left in place, and later brought out through a new opening, creating a new shape for the umbilicus and a new scar around the belly button.  Whether or not this would improve your appearance depends upon your current belly button skin and how the current scars are positioned.  Your questions should be easily answered during a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Tummy tuck may improve a belly button

+1

It is possible that the tummy tuck may improve a scarred belly button from a prior hernia repair, though tummy tuck will preserve your own belly button. The belly button is not 'new'. Without an examination it is hard for us to say just what might happen.

peterejohnsonmd

Belly buttons and tummy tucks

+1

It's hard to say for sure without a photo but usually the belly buttons look much better after a tummy tuck because lax skin and scars and ring holes can be removed.  Hopefully that can work for you but see some excellent plastic surgeons for definitive opinions.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Addressing a scarred belly button during a tummy tuck

+1

It is possible that your belly button can be improved in appearance when you undergo a tummy tuck. Then again, it may not be. The reason for these opposite assessments is that what could be done would depend on exactly what you have anatomically right now and without a photo, this would be difficult to provide you with an accurate prognosis. If you true umbilicus was completely or partially destroyed from the surgery, then the prognosis is more guarded whereas if there are just thick or broad scars around it, this would be a better situation. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD