Tummy Tuck Part Even Possible After Extensive Abdominal Surgery?

In 1991, after a bad car accident, I was cut open from pubic bone to sternum. Many things cauterized or sewn back together. >1 yr later, I got pregnant again - delivered via C-section. So I have an "anchor shape" of scars on my belly. Now I have one 11 cm and several smaller fibroids. I'm thinking of doing a Mommy Makeover thing along with having my fibroids removed. I'm 47, BMI 26.6. I'm concerned that my extensive scarring will prevent successful results. Will it?

Tummy tcuck after extensive adominal surgery

+1

An abdominoplasty and fibroid removal should not be done at the same time.  The fibroid surgery requires a laparotomy and since you had a previous car accident with a laparotomy, you may have multiple adhesions.  That makes the fibroid removal technically more difficult and a longer procedure.  You would be at a higher risk for pelvic vein thrombosis and possibly pulmonary embolism.  Once you recover from the fibroid removal then you can consider an abdominoplasty.  Contra indications to abdominoplasty are incisions that cut off the blood supply to the distally based tissue.  You do not descrivve that, but unfortunately I have no photographs showing your scars.  It would be possible to undergo abdominoplasty even after extensive surgery if you have no scars that would compromise the blood supply.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Abdominal Surgery

+1

No matter what, you will always have some scarring. The surgery is possible if you are healthy, but it is difficult to predict the exact result. You should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. They will be able to properly examine the area and give you an honest opinion about the results.

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Mommy makeover with abdominal scarring

+1

You likely can get rid of a lot of the old scars! The scars that cause problems are under the ribcage...if they are down low or vertically in the midline you most likely will be fine!

Michael Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover - tummy tuck with abdominal surgery scars

+1

Provided you are otherwise healthy I do not think the scars you describe will preclude you from having a tummy tuck. Many massive weight loss patients get a vertical midline incision as part of their tummy tucks because they have so much excess skin. The scarring you describe is more of an issue with liposuction where the cannula either cannot be passed through the scars or accidentally pierces into the abdomen where it can nick a piece of bowel.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Tummy tuck after extensive abdominal surgery

+1

Even though you have had prior extensive abdominal surgery, you can still be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty, and can potentially get much improvement with regards to your scars and the overall appearance of your tummy.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery can help you decide the most appropriate procedure.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

It is likely that the appearance of your tummy can be significantly improved at the time of Mommy Makeover.

+1

It is likely that the appearance of your tummy can be significantly improved at the time of Mommy Makeover with a tummy tuck and revision of the vertical scar.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Abdominal contouring possible after extensive surgery

+1

It is very common for plastic surgeons to manage or remove scars from previous surgery. As long as you are in good health, you will likely be a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.  And also make sure your OB/GYN is comfortable with a combined procedure.  Best of luck.  I'm sure you'll love your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover after Extensive Surgery

+1

I understand your concern about further surgery based on your previous procedures.   We frequently deal with scar tissue during tummy tucks, as many patients have had hysterectomies or c-sections.    I do not think your case should present any unexpected problems at 11 years post surgery.

I would make sure to gain clearance from your primary care and gynecologist on whether it is safe to proceed with a mommy makeover during your 11 cm fibroid removal.    Depending on your medical history and their anticipated blood loss, they may elect to do both surgeries together or stage them for your safety. 

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tuck can be done after several abdominal surgery.

+1

Even though you had several abdominal surgeries, as long as you are healthy, you should be able to undergo tummy tuck safely.  Please consult with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon.  After reviewing your medical history and examining you in person, she/he should be able to tell you whether you are a good candidate for tummy tuck.  Good luck to you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Tummy Tuck Surgery Possible after Extensive Abdominal Surgery?

+1

There is nothing in your description that will preclude you from having a tummy tuck operation, assuming you are in good health and otherwise a good candidate for the procedure. For more specific advice I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.