How Long Can I Expect Pain After a Tummy Tuck?

does it hurt after ur tummy tuck and for how long?

Tummy Tuck Pain

+1

A Tummy Tuck is associated with a short duration of post-surgical pain and 1-4 months feeling of tightness which always goes away.

The degree of pain varies with the patient, the way the surgery was carried out and with any associated procedures. If the patient receives long-lasting anesthesia DURING surgery, there is hardly any pain after Tummy Tuck and NO hunching over. The vast majority of patients do not require opiate pain pills a week after the surgery and do well with over the counter medications such as Motrin/Advil etc.

The tightness is subjective and is a new feeling for women who were used to a loose feeling tummy. It lasts for 1-4 months and goes away.

Of all the operations we do in Plastic Surgery, Tummy Tuck has a high satisfaction because it literally transforms your body and increases your self-confidence. I would not let pain issues dissuade you from having it.

Dr. P. Aldea

I use pain pumps

+1

They slowly inject local anesthesia into the operated area for 3 days post op giving you a lot of pain relief. You are far more uncomforatable than you are in pain.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy rucks are uncomfortable but pain improves quickly

+1
I do a lot of tummy tucks and patients' level of discomfort is very individual. In general though most patients take both ibuprofen and a narcotic compound such as Vicodin together immediately after surgery. It is typical that Vicodin is no longer needed after two to three days and ibuprofen is enough. Tummy tuck is a big surgery so it is important to plan enough time off work and have enough help at home, particularly if you have young children. The first days are uncomfortable but my patients are pretty happy pretty quickly.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Pain and recovery from a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks vary in extent and therefore the pain can vary tremendously depending on what is accomplished during the procedure: mini vs full, with or without  SAL, muscle plication, etc. Furthermore the individuals response to any injury can also vary. In most instances many individuals are back to routine daily activities by two weeks with the exception of strenous activity or exercise for typically 6 weeks.

Moderate discomfort after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

Tummy tuck sounds scary.  But patients actually walk out of our sugical suite two or three hours after surgery.  They manage well with just some pain pills.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pain after a tummy tuck

+1

Pain is a subjective emotion. Some last only a few days while others have pain for weeks. We are all individuals, each has differing degrees of pain tolerance. On average tummy tuck pain is for 10 days.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Pain after abdominoplasty

+1

Pain is to be expected but it is variable. It is better to be prepared for pain and be surprised by less than the other way around. Whether or not muscle tightening is part of the procedure will influence the intensity. General, pain may increase over the first 24-72 hours and then decrease during the first week. You can still feel discomfort during the second post-op week. However, despite this pain, you should be walking erect quite normally after the first week.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD