Damaged Tummy Tuck Results from Exercise?

I had a Tummy Tuck back in January and have had an uneventful recovery so far. I followed all my consultant's advice on wearing the support garment, and returning to exercise. I have been very pleased with the results and the scar is fading slowly.

However, a couple of days ago, after a couple of sessions at the gym (which did include some sit ups), I have began to experience pain in my abdomen, mainly in the lower area around my scar site. It has become painful to cough and sneeze, similar to after I had just had my surgery. I have taken an anti inflammatory which does help.

Could I have done myself any damage such as rupturing the suture line? My stomach doesn't look unduly different than before?

Damage unlikely

+2

You may have just disrupted some scar tissue or tissue adhesion, which can cause pain similar to the pain you experienced immediately postoperatively. It sounds like you followed all of your instructions and are advancing activity slowly as you should, so it is very unlikely that you ripped or damaged the muscle repair or anything else vital to the abdominoplasty. It is a good idea to get checked by your doctor, in the meantime, use some antiinflammatories (Advil, Alleve) for any discomfort.

Covington Plastic Surgeon

Damaged Tummy Tuck results unlikely, but possible

+2

What you describe is probably due to muscle spasm or strain, but could be something else. Real damage to a tummy tuck muscle repair site is really quite rare. You may want to see your surgeon to be sure especially if the pain doesn't resolve completely in a week or so.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon