Can a Tummy Tuck Help With Pain Caused by Abdominal Muscle Defects?

I have had chronic abdominal pain since a very complex surgery 15 months ago. I got necrotizing faciitis following childbirth and had major damage to my abdominal wall. I have been in physical therapy for over 6mo with no improvement. They say my pain is caused by adhesions between my transverse abdominals and obliques that are forcing my obliques to do all of the work and my TA do nothing. I am wondering if there is some sort of surgery to separate these muscles that may decrease my pain.

Tummy tuck for abdominal wall pain

+1

It sounds like your abdominal wall is really a mess and yes, abdominoplasty may help if your pain is secondary to adhesions either between your muscle layers and/or  between your muscles and your fat and/or skin.  This is not likely going to be a standard "tummy tuck" but a true reconstructive abdominoplasty.  Make sure you consult a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who will be an expert on both reconstructive and cosmetic abdominal procedures. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.