What is a Tummy Tuck Operation?

I want to know exactly what is done by a surgeon when having a tummy tuck. I am small and not overweight at all,but have a saggy tummy that just will not seem to develop muscle since having two ceasareans. I want to know exactly what the surgeon would do.

What is a Tummy Tuck

+3

A Tummy Tuck is a Plastic Surgery Procedure used to tighten Tummy, Belly or Abdominal Skin.

A Tummy Tuck is usually done to tighten loose belly or abdominal skin after pregnancy or weight loss.

There are two main types of Tummy Tuck. A  Full Tummy Tuck involves creating a new Belly Button or Umbilicus. A Mini or Bikini Tummy Tuck involves only the lower abdomen and does not change the Belly Button.

Be careful about what you read. Many advertisements advertise Tummy Tucks that are not in fact a true Tummy Tuck.

For more detailed discussion and Before and After Photos check the link below

Tummy tuck details

+2

A tummy tuck is a non specific term that is most closely synonymous with the term abdominoplasty.  Usually, a transverse incision extending from hip bone to hip bone is used.  The abdominal skin is elevated above the belly button exposing the deep tissue or fascia of the abdominal wall.  At this point, the fascia is tightened with a plication in order to restore strength to the abdominal wall and correct both fullness above and below the belly button.  The abdominal skin is then advanced to the bottom of the incision and retensioned with removal of the excess.  A new opening is then created for the belly button.  There are many variations on this theme.  There is a more comprehensive approach that involves liposuction of the abdomen and adjacent areas and additional plication of the fascia. In my practice I refer to this as an anterior torsoplasty. Some surgeons use the term lipoabdominoplasty.  There is a less comprehensive approach called a mini tummy tuck.  This involves a somewhat shorter incision without relocation of the belly button and only minimal plication.  With this technique the improvement can be  limited.  It is best to review the specific details of any planned operation with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Richard J. Wassermann, MD, MPH
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Surgery

+2

Tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise;  Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

What is a Tummy Tuck

+1

A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and tightens the belly.  As with any procedure, there is a range of what needs to be performed given the individual patient's anatomy and desires.  A mini-tummy tuck involves making a small incision in the skin and fat in the lower belly and removing the excess skin and fat below the belly button.  A standard tummy tuck generally goes from hip to hip in the lower belly and removes excess skin/fat from the lower belly and the upper belly (bounded by the ribcage).  Also, the six-pack muscles in the belly are tightened by using stitches to decrease any laxity that may have occurred with pregnancy.  An extended tummy tuck is needed to address any hip rolls that are present and are not corrected with a standard tummy tuck.  Liposuction is extremely useful with all types of tummy tucks as it helps to contour the flanks and give you the hourglass figure women desire.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon