Tummy Tuck Keeps Opening Even After More Surgery? (photo)

My tummy tuck incision keeps opening, I had this done 3 weeks ago and 3 times it has opened up. I had the wound closed under local and it opened so had it closed under general anaesthetic an again there is a small hole in the middle of my scar. I am very concerned it is not going to heal together.

Repeated Closure of a Tummy Tuck

+1

I have not closed a tummy tuck after it has opened. Usually, the tummy tuck opens for a reason.  Either tension or microbe burden or poor healing is the culprit.  I would recommend local wound care.

Delayed healing.

+1

Thanks for your post. The area in the photo is clearly having delays in wound healing. You have to let your PS know what is going on at this time so he can make the appropriate diagnosis. If the wound is opening up for a third time, other options besides closure should be discussed with you. Perhaps dressing changes, a wound vacuum, and antibiotics might be some options. Only your plastic surgeon can make these recommendations. Be sure that you are doing your part and have appropriate nutrition and vitamins on board. Best of luck, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Healing

+1

this will heal but it may take some time, tension may have something to do with the delay in healing. if there is a foreign body in there like a suture it may need to be removed

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Healing Problems

+1

You are having a wound healing complication. Delayed healing and/or infection are possible complications after any surgery including TT. A recent or past history of smoking can increase the risk.

Based on your picture, re-suturing the wound will not be effective. These problems usually require several surgical debridement sessions (removing the bad tissue and allowing the wound to open and drain) and antibiotics. The wound is then allowed to close itself. It will look  worse in the short term and can take several months to heal completely. Be patient and see your surgeon frequently during this healing phase.

Good Luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Keeps Opening Even After More Surgery?

+1

Use local wound care to allow the area to heal by secondary intention and re epitheialization. Than allow 3 month for they scar to mature before a scar revision. 

Healing issues after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your question and picture.  I am sorry to hear about your difficulties since your surgery.  Having small areas of breakdown along the incision line is a more common complication of a tummy tuck.  If the reason the breakdown occurred isn't corrected, then it will continue to breakdown despite attempts at closure.  Often, the best treatment is to allow the wound to heal on its own.  This does require some patience.  Sometimes, a scar revision will be needed later.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Suture Line Small Openings Not Unusual

+1

Post abdominoplasty small wound openings in the suture line are not uncommon and they eventually go on to healing.  I do not close these openings surgically because whatever the cause of the wound opening (minor infection, too much tension, deep sutures which have minor bacteria around them, etc.), they rarely respond positively to suture repair in my experience. 

If these are deep enough, I pack them with iodoform gauze and dressing changes, and then allow them to heal on their own.  This can take from days to weeks.

Your plastic surgeon is the best person to discuss this with since he or she will best understand the exact reason for these recurrent openings. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Opening tummy tuck wound

+1
First, it is important to understand the reason why the incision opened. Was there too much tension on the wound? an infection or seroma? tissue necrosis? a suture reaction? Once the wound has opened, it should not be restored and needs to heal, gradually, by secondary intention. Debridement and dressing changes would be employed.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Opening of TummyTuck incision

+1

I am sorry to hear you have had problems with your tummy tuck incision. Occasionally the incision can open or just not heal. This is likely the result of injury to the blood supply of the skin and underlying fat.  Usually, the dead tissue is removed and the area is allowed to heal on its own. Closing the hole with stitches almost never works. There are several wound products that may help you heal faster but it will still take several weeks. You may ultimately require a scar revision in about 1 year.  

Matthew Schulman, MD

Tummy Tuck and Incision Line Healing Problem?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after tummy tuck surgery. These types of superficial incision line separations are not unusual after tummy tuck surgery. These areas generally go on to heal without long-term  sequelae.

Keep in close communication with your plastic surgeon. Occasionally, removal of a deeper suture may expedite healing.  Sometimes, scar revision surgery ( longer term) may be helpful.