Will This Tummy Tuck Look Normal Down the Road? (photo)

had a Full TT tummy tuck 7 days ago with muscle repair and hernia repair. I have these strange sutures under my skin pulling inward, my doctor said they will disappear or can be snipped later. I am still swollen, I am concerned with what this looks like right now and have not been able to find anything regarding it online? My tummy and BB look different than others I have seen, also have loose skin around belly button when bent over still, It has been only a week .

How a tummy tuck should look after one week

+1
  • How you look a week after a tummy tuck depends a lot of how you looked a week before your tummy tuck.  Every patient is different so don't compare yourself to others.  You are just one week out and things will change over the next few months.  I ask my patients to hold judgement until they are three months post op.

It looks like your surgeon used quilting stitches in your midline and these indentations will likely resolve.  It's too soon to comment on your belly button.  If you had an umbilical hernia, the belly button repair can be tough.

Stay in close touch with your surgeon, follow his/her instructions and be patient. 

Early results from a tummy tuck

+1

While I don't use quilting sutures, your surgeon might have.  Ask them if they did and if they are happy with the look you have at one week.  It is far too early to be worried about the long term result.  It takes 4-6 months to get there.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Will This Tummy Tuck Look Normal Down the Road?

+1

I would guess that these are due to "quilting sutures" which some surgeons use as an alternative to drains. Usually these are dissolving sutures, and the indents should improve. 

We always judge TT results with upright photos. Anyone needing a TT has limited skin elasticity, and most will have obvious skin excess while sitting. If they did not, they would not be able to stand straight. ]

Discuss the indents with your surgeon, who knows what was done in the operating room. All the best. 

The abdomen shortly after in abdominoplasty may look unusual.

+1

I cannot say whether or not you will be pleased with your abdominoplasty once wound healing is complete. Nevertheless there will be profound changes.

7 Days Post Op Tummy Tuck

+1

Since you are only 7 days post op, it is way to soon to discuss your final result.  It takes weeks to months for some of the sutures to dissolve, and some sutures are permanent.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon as he is the best to guide you to recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Quilting sutures

+1

Dear sloan5,

I suspect the dimpling is from quilting sutures which are sometimes used to decrease the chance of seroma.  Quilting suture dimpling tends to go away with time.  It is early, so you will see a lot of changes going forward with regards to your final TT and BB appearance.  

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD