I plan on having Liposuction to my abdomen. Do you think I need a Tummy Tuck too?

I'm thinking of getting abdominal/flank lipo and wondering if I might need a tummy tuck as well? I'm 35 and have been as high as 245lb and as low as 180. I had gynecomastia lipo/surgery 2 years ago and my skin seems to have retracted fine. Thanks.

Do you think I need a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

+1
Thank you for your question. It is difficult to tell from your photos what your best option for treatment would be. If you do have excess skin, the only way to treat this is with a Tummy Tuck, as liposuction only addresses fat. I recommend you discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
It can be very confusing when different plastic surgeons give differing opinions. Unfortunately, there are sometimes different ways to approach the same problem.

The way to determine whether areas are good for liposuction is to get a sense of how tight the skin tone is by pinching it. If you have good skin elasticity and liposuction is performed under the areas with good skin elasticity the skin will shrink up and generally you will have a good result in that area. If the skin is loose already then liposuction will make it even looser.

In my own practice I commonly perform liposuction of the love handle area and back roles when the skin elasticity is good. I do not perform at epigastric liposuction at the same time as a full tummy tuck. When you liposuction the upper abdominal skin you are bruising the blood supply. In a full tummy tuck your also elevating the skin away from its normal blood supply. While in some cases you can get away with doing both at the same time there is a higher risk of healing problems when that skin is pulled down to the lower abdomen. Once the tummy tuck has healed liposuction in the upper abdomen has minimal risks of healing problems.

Please be sure that the surgeons that you have seen are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. If their opinions are not making sense to you ask each about the difference and ask them to explain it. If you're still not comfortable you may wish to seek other opinions. Generally speaking when a consistent recommendation comes from a few doctors and make sense to you intellectually it's usually the best way to go.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Lipo and TT

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I don't see a lot of skin laxity but more fat. I suggest an ultrasonic liposuction in the abdomen and flanks. This techniques melts fat cells before being removed form the treated area.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

Planning on lipo, do I need a Tummy Tuck

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
An in person examination would be needed to say anything definitive as I can not tell from your pictures if you have sufficient skin elasticity to get good contraction of the skin after liposuction alone. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

+1
Based on the photos, it looks like you could get a reasonable result with liposuction and avoid a tummy tuck scar. You should have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss fully and for exam of skin elasticity.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

+1
Liposuction alone or liposuction plus laser liposuction (Smartlipo) typically tightens the skin of the area treated enough so that it does not loosen after the procedure.  The resultant visible scar especially in a man must be weighed against the amount of skin tightening which can be provided with a tummy tuck.
Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

+1
   I think that liposuction may well be a great option in you, but a physical exam would reveal more information.

UAL and LAL

+1
You seem to be a good candidate for a combination of ultrasonic and laser Liposuction of your abdomen and flanks. During this procedure increased skin training can be expected with Laser (smart Lipo) as well as ultrasound (Vaser) addition to traditional liposuction.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Liposuction?

+1
You may be a good candidate for liposuction but the skin could become looser.  Best to be seen in person.

Lipo or tummy tuck?

+1
I think you will do well with just lipo. Your skin tone seems pretty good. And it looks like overall you're in good shape. Go for it.

Ronald Schuster, MD