I've Had a C-Section And Cyst Removal From Ovary. Is a Tummy Tuck Necessary To Repair Muscle Walls?

I have had two surgeries. One of which was a c-section, and the other was a "Oophorectomy" I had a huge dermoid cyst on my ovary the surgeon had to go through my old c-section scar to remove it... Is getting a tummy tuck the only way to repair the muscle walls? I was planning on getting a tummy tuck because of loose skin from weight loss (65 pounds lost and 40 or so to go)...but I wanted to make sure that a tummy tuck would fix my muscle walls in addition to the sagging skin.

Muscle repair

+1

It sounds like you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck based on your description of the looseness of your skin.since the skin has been stretched out, the underlying muscles likely have also been stretched out and could be tightened  at the same time.  This is pretty standard when an abdominoplasty is performed. Be sure to discuss this with your plastic surgeon when you go for a consult.

Is a Tummy Tuck needed to Repair abdominal muscles after removal of large Ovarian Cyst

+1

Both pregnancy(ies) and large ovarian tumors will permanently stretch out and split abdominal muscles resulting in the classic Mommy Tummy / Muffin Top. Depending on how the operation to remove the ovarian tumor was done and how the muscles were put together at the end of the surgery would determine what needs to be done. 

With a history of massive weight loss, at least one pregnancy and a very large ovarian tumor it is clear you would benefit from a Full Abdomnoplasty (Tummy Tuck). 

Good luck. 

Peter A Aldea, MD

Muscle repair at the same time of tummy tuck

+1

Yes, abdominal muscle repair and tightening can be done at the same time as a tummy tuck. To make sure that this is the right procedure for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

+1

Best option is in person examination with a few boarded PSs in your area. After the examination the doctors can discuss in more detail your options, if TT included in the repair of the split muscles than you will be able to have both done. Best of luck. 

C-section, cyst removal and tummy tuck

+1

Once you reach your ideal weight, a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) would give you a great result. A full abdominoplasty removes skin and fat and tightens the rectus muscles, narrowing your waist and lifting the pubis. Most of the time, your old C-section scar will be removed at the same time.

Donna Rich, MD

Abdominal wall repair

+1
In a full abdominoplasty, the muscles are repaired. Ideally, you should be at your optimal weight prior to undergoing the surgery. The incision will be made through your old -section scar and the excess skin will be removed during the procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck to repair the muscles

+1

The muscles are repaired in a tummy tuck and it sounds like you might be a good candidate.  Make sure to go the best Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and be evaulated. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck to Repair Muscles

+1

Judging by you description of a pregnancy, c section and weight loss you probably have changes to your abdomen which make you a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

This procedure will remove and tighten the skin of your abdomen, tighten the abdominal muscle which have spread apart from the stretching during the pregnancies and in most cases some liposuction is performed to contour the hips and/or the upper abdomen.  In general, patients at or near their ideal body weight get the best results. In my opinion, the muscle tightening portion of the operation is the main part of the tummy tuck.

You should have consultations with several plastic surgeons so you understand the options and so you will get the result you have in mind.  Good luck, thank you for the question.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Based on your description of significant weight loss, the presence of loose skin, history of pregnancy and “huge dermoid cyst"  I think you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery.  Of course, this recommendation will be validated by physical examination.

The tummy tuck procedure will serve to remove “excess” skin and adipose tissue and plicate (put back together) the abdominal wall muscles that spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss.  Raising the pubic area may also be helpful.

It is in your best interests to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery. This will allow you to achieve the best results possible and minimize the chances that further surgery will become necessary ( if you lose additional weight after the tummy tuck surgery).

When the time is right make sure your consulting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can show you lots of examples of their work.

Muscle Repair and Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear MissNicolae, If your abdominal muscles are intact and merely stretched and displaced from childbearing, then the muscle tightening repair commonly performed during a tummy tuck will address your concerns.  However, if a hernia, a tear or hole through the muscle wall of the abdomen, is present, then the muscle repair alone would not fix your abdominal concerns.  To determine if a hernia is present or if the muscle repair alone would be appropriate, an examination is required.  Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can help you choose the right procedure for you.

Congratulations on your weight loss.  A tummy tuck or body lift will also help you address the excess skin problems you mentioned.  Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon