Can I Have a Tummy Tuck to Make my Waist Smaller if I Am Not Overweight and Do Not Have Excess Skin?

I am very slim with a straight boyish waist. I would prefer to have a more tapered waist like Salma Hayek. Could I have a tummy tuck and musculofascial plication done to make my waist more tapered in at the sides.

For A Slim Frame, Think About Adding, Not Removing

+2
Great question! A tummy tuck is probably not the best solution for you to achieve the curves you want because it removes excess fat and skin - the operative word being "excess". You described yourself as being very slim, which most likely means you don't have much fat/skin to remove. Also, musculofascial plication is appropriate only when there is diastasis (widened separation) of your abdominal muscles, often caused by pregnancy and massive weight gain. Have you experienced either?

If not, you'd probably want to select a treatment that creates curves by adding, rather than taking away. For an hourglass figure like Salma Hayek's, think about adding volume to your breasts and hips/buttocks. Breast augmentation and a butt lift with fat transplantation (aka fat graft, fat transfer) can help. Talk to your surgeon - I'm sure they'll be able to recommend a suitable treatment for you during a consultation.

Web reference: http://www.edelsteincosmetic.com/procedures/breast-augmentation-toronto.php

Tummy tuck for a smaller waist

+1

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Web reference: http://www.michaellaw.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and tapering

+1

A consultation will help guide this discussion better. The exam will be key to analyze what the potential is for the results you desire.

Tummy tuck vs liposuction for curves

+1

Hello. Thanks for your inquiry.  We have success in patients doing liposuction on the flanks and sides and using fat grafting in the hips and buttocks to get more curves and even creat more of a six pack look.   We would have a better assessment if you include photos on your next query thanks

Web reference: Http://drsanjaylalla.com

West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.