5'2, 177 lbs scheduled for TT, full back lipo and BBL, but planning on having a kid. If I lose weight, do I need the TT? (photo)

I'm 5'2 and currently 177. Before pregnancy two years ago I was 160ish, my highest before labor 237. Since I've been serious about surgey I've been dieting and exercising more. My surgery for tt and full back lipo and bbl is schedule for march 25 2014. My doctor is telling me I'm in need of tt. I do intend to have a kid in about 5 to 10 but get depressed every time I look in the mirro! My question is if I come down to 160ish again will I still need a tt or can aggressive lipo fix this situation

Is a tummy tuck my only option?

+2

Your question is difficult to answer based only on the photo that you have posted. If your skin elasticity is OK and you lose some weight, skin excess will not be an issue, and it may be that a TT would not be the only option.

It looks like you carry a lot of weight within the abdominal cavity, and that would not be helped much with a TT.

Work on losing some weight, then reevaluate.

All the best.

Is a tummy tuck my only option? (photo)

+1

It is difficult to say with the limited single view that you have submitted. But it seems you could be a suitable candidate for a tummy tuck only after some weight loss. at 5'2" ideally you should be around 120 lb. I consider 10% above that as reasonable and acceptable.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or lipo

+1

It is really difficult to evaluate your belly without seeing a photo of your tummy! Best of luck as you proceed.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Lipo? #tummytuck

+1

These questions are always hard to answer without seeing you but I will make some general comments. First, I think if this is what you want, go for it. It is always a good idea to lose as much weight as possible in a healthy manner prior to procedures. You want to adopt a lifestyle that you can live by every day. I do not like dieting and fad exercising. Eating well and exercising should be a part of your everyday life so that you never feel like you are "dieting". Staying healthy is a way of life and if you want your results to be long term you need to adopt these philosophies first. So, to answer your question you may or may not need a tummy tuck after losing weight. This is very subjective and needs to be decided by you and your surgeon at that time. It is impossible for me to know what the quality of your skin will be after weight loss. I can not predict from your photos what is best. So lose the weight and revisit with your surgeon what is best.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Tummy Tuck is not your only option Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hey there Sexynurse,

I think you're on the right track with your thinking.

It sounds like you're up 17 lbs from before your first pregnancy. Although it's true that the photo isn't the greatest, it does provide some helpful information.

First, you have a tiny waist.

Second, you have a nice shape and the suggestion of proportion between your chest, waist and hips.

Third, some of the weight you're carrying is in your hips.

If you are able to lose 10 lbs with diet and exercise, I think you'll see a difference in your figure and you'll be able to see how your skin responds. If it snugs up, you may decide to continue to lose the remaining 7 lbs...or more.

If you get stuck and can't lose the remaining weight, consider liposuction alone (no tummy tuck) but include your posterior hips along with your abdomen- that is usually key to adding definition to your shape. I would hold off on the breast surgery until after you're done with having kids.

Often I will suggest to women who are planning on having more kids to wait on breast lifts and tummy tucks until they are finished with kids. There is so much additional change to the breasts and body with future pregnancies. Otherwise, there is a good chance that you will be revising something in a short time and that's when things get complicated.

Thanks for asking! Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate?

+1

The photo doesn't show your abdomen well. If you haven't had children yet you may be able to get by with just lipo for now. It will not give you as good a result as a tummy tuck, but might still offer you worthwhile improvement. Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Is tummy tuck needed?

+1

Your photo doesn't show your tummy so it's impossible to tell. If you have a lot of stretch marks and a lower fold of skin you probably need the skin removed because it will not shrink after just lipo. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tummy tuck vs other options

+1

From your one photo, it is difficult to say with certainty, whether or not a tummy tuck is your best option. Liposuction will reduce the subcutaneous fat, however it won't address any loose skin that you might have. You are on the right path by dieting and exercising so keep up the good work. If you are in doubt about your options, I would not hesitate to get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck my only option?

+1

If you would provide photos from the front and sides, it may be possible to answer this with a little more certainty. If your doctor examined you and you have skin laxity, tummy tuck may be reasonable.

Several options to improve the shape of your body

+1

You have several options to improve the appearance of your waist and abdomen. Your photo does not show your abdomen well enough to know which of these options would be best for you but in general the options to improve the shape and appearance of your waist and abdomen are:

• weight loss
  • tummy tuck
  • liposuction

If you are planning to have children in the future you should give careful consideration to these options as a tummy tuck will obviously undo some of the results. Long term, there is no doubt that changing the way you eat and your activity level will be important for your health as well as for the way you look.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD