I've had a tummy tuck. Can my belly button be improved? (photo)

I'm 3 mos post-op and I'm not happy with my belly button. Can it be revised now or do I have to wait?

Unhappy with tummy tuck belly button

+1
  • Wait a full 6 months after surgery.
  • Belly button revisions can be done then,
  • Everyone wants a different belly button - let your surgeon know the look you want. Best wishes.

Belly buttons after tummy tucks

+1
can heal in a variety of ways and develop a list of problems.  Revisions can help but only after you are considered completely healed.  Then and only then can your problems be evaluated for a suitable solution.  If my patients don't like their belly button, I often will remove it and do a reconstruction later that leaves a very nice look when standing, but it almost flattens out when laying supine (no champagne).

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck scar

+1
This is a very good question.  One of the things that is difficult is the actual feel of the scar make a difference. Also this is a circular scar which makes it a little challenging.It is early in the process and can respond to a number of the treatments already described.  Start with scar massage.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Belly button revision

+1

I would definitely wait prior to undergoing any belly button revision.  The reason for this is two fold:  one, the appearance of the belly button will change with time, and two, you will need the skin surrounding the belly button to be softer and looser prior to undergoing a surgical revision.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Don't revise too early

+1
I understand your concern about the appearance, but it's better to wait since things will very likely improve a lot over the next 3 months or so. Scar massage and a silicone based scar cream (or silicone scar sheets) will help soften the scar, and it can be revised if those measures don't work. If you revise now, it could possibly make things worse than they would be if you left them alone. Good luck.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

I've had a tummy tuck. Can my belly button be improved?

+1
Massage is the best management along with silicone sheeting.   Over time, the superior skin will slightly loosen to give more hooding to the superior aspect of the belly button, which will give it a more natural appearance.   Best to you

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

BB scar should settle down

+1
Thanks for your pic and ? It is still early in the healing process. My guess is that the scar will blend in over the next several months. It is critical that you massage it several times a day to try and soften it up. You also need to keep sunscreen on it if you are going to be outside. If the scar is significantly thickened, it might respond to steroid. It is difficult for me to tell from the picture. After 6-12 months, the incision/scar might be amenable to revision. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD