Muscle Separation After Tummy Tuck?

I had a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift on 2/23/09. I am currently 6 weeks post-op. So far, I am extremely happy with my results, but I do have one concern, which I am not sure about. I noticed by the end of each day a bit of swelling on the upper part of my stomach, under my breast area and above my belly button. Is that normal? Have my stomach muscles separated from my stomach walls? I'm a bit conerned because my stomach was completely flat after surgery.

Probably issues after Tummy Tuck that should resolve in time

+2

The complete healing from a tummy tuck usually takes a year. You are probably having issues that should resolve with time. Swelling can occur on and off over many months especially when liposuction and tummy tuck surgery have been combined.

Make sure your surgeon is following you though this period, but I doubt there is anything seriously wrong.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

I would not be too worried

+2

You are relatively soon after surgery, and this is something that is frequently noticed by patients at this time point. You have a lot of reasons to have swelling (having had both breast and abdominal surgery), and you are becoming more active. The upper part of the abdomen is not under much tension (the skin is attached to the rib margins in an inverted V fashion, so the taught pull that is really flattening your lower abdominal skin is not present up there). Also, you are probably still wearing a garment, which compresses the lower abdomen. All of these things can make the upper abdomen show with soft edema / swelling. As more time passes from surgery (in the order of months), you will notice less and less of this, until it is a non-issue.

There is a small chance it could be a seroma (but those do not come and go over the day), so just mention your concern the next time you visit with your surgeon.

Congratulations on the new you!

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS