Will a tummy tuck be enough or do I have to have a muscle repair as well? (photo)

I'm 30 years old and have had 2 children by c-section. Obviously my babies have done a number on my tummy. So I've been curious if a tummy tuck skin only would be enough, or if I should do a muscle repair too? Also, I was wondering what differs it from each other and what the recovery process would be for both?

Optimal Results

+2
Although a complete physical exam is necessary in order to assess your specific concerns, your photos show the typical appearance of "baby tummy," where the abdominal muscles have stretched and widened.  Tightening the muscles underneath the skin is a way to significantly flatten the upper and lower abdomen, allowing you to have the most optimal results from a tummy tuck surgery.  It allows more skin to be removed and gives you the "hourglass" waist that is desired with this type of surgery.  Good luck!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Will a tummy tuck be enough or do I have to have a muscle repair as well?

+2
A tummy tuck includes removal of excess skin and the fat attached to it as well as a muscle repair if needed. We would bre unable to determine what is best for you without a phusical examination

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

TT and/or MR

+2
You will be beautifully benefited with a nice and tight muscle repair in order to get a flatter abdomen and tapered waist. The TT will only help to get rid of the saggy skin, but not much improvement on the waist and protruding abdomen.
You will be loving your results.
Have a great journey.
Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Yes do the muscle repair

+2
The muscle repair is what gives the flat tummy, not just the skin removal. Essentially everybody with kids needs at least some repair.  It just makes it hurt a little more but it is well worth it for the best result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

TT

+2
Thank you for the picture.

I believe that you make a great candidate for a tummy tuck with muscle repair to correct the protruded abdomen, you'll have great results.

Good luck.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2
a Full tummy tuck involves repair of the muscles of the abdominal wall and removal of excess skin, you're definitely a good candidate for this procedure.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy tucks

+2
This is a hard question to answer based on pictures alone but most people who have had children benefit from muscle tightening to restore a flat contour to the abdomen.  This is part of a standard tummy tuck done all at the same time as removing the excess skin.  Anyone with a low placed belly button is not a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck as the belly button would be too close to the mons to look normal.  I woul recommend a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to review your anatomy and help make the best operative plan.

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2
I  assume you are asking if you should have a full or mini tummy tuck.  Based on the photo provided you will have a best result with full tummy tuck.

The mini tummy tuck operation is an operation that addresses the lower abdominal wall, below the umbilicus. The “full” tummy tuck operation involves treatment of the entire abdominal wall; this operation serves to remove excess skin, re approximate the abdominal wall muscles that may have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss, improve the appearance of the waistline and often pubic area as well

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

+1
     A tummy tuck can remove loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall at the same time, which would be the right thing for you.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Muscle repair or just skin removal?

+1
In general, patients who have 2 children by C-section have muscular weakness that just taking off the loose skin will not correct. In those patients the abdominal muscles are usually tightened as well a removal of the excess loose skin. The muscle repair results in some additional discomfort which varies from patient to patient, but produces a significantly improved cosmetic result.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon