Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair, Lumps Appear 6 Weeks Po, Normal? (photo)

I got a TT with MR and Im worried its not right I'm always sucking my tummy in as it looks funny like lumps and looks kinda like I'm 3 pregnant when I lean over or sit it folds on the scar line and the belly button looked good for the first 6 weeks then went funny to the same time the other lumps came up . I've talked to my PS and he try's to assures me it all ok but I really don't think it is and his the only PS in my state .

Contour irregularity six weeks after abdominoplasty is possible.

+1

All take your word that you have lumps under the skin is is not visible the photographs. Six weeks out there is a lot of swelling can contribute to contour irregularities. You need to be patient.

Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair, Lumps Appear 6 Weeks Po, Normal?

+1

Dear Cheeky,

Always 'sucking in'  your tummy is actually part of good posture.  You should always have tension on your abdominal muscles rather than relaxing.  Even the tightest athelete can look like they have a 'pooch' if they relax their abdominal muscles.  This is similar to always having your back muscles erect for good posture.  That being said, you do have skin laxity as well.  Your upper abdomen does not look bad, and the 'lumps' I see are abdominal muscles. There is hypertrophic scarring around the upper-outer portion of the belly button.  I would suggest a small revision with excising the lower abdominal laxity with bringing the scar lower, and scar revision to the hypertophic portion of the belly button.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Photos are not ideal, but it looks like a pretty good result on the standing view (which is incomplete for analysis). When you bend forward, the chest and pelvis get closer and the skin will buckle--if the elasticity were good you wouldn't have needed a TT. 

At any rate, 6 weeks is early, and continued improvement is to be expected. Follow with your surgeon, All the best. 

Post Op Questions

+1

You are still relatively early in your postop recovery.  It may take several months until you see your final result.  When you are standing you seem to have a nice contour.  When sitting or bending over the tissue will appear more loose and this is normal.  Try to allow some additional time to elapse before you make a final decision about your tummy and discuss your concerns with you plastic surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

Appears as an excellent result to me seen in posted photos. There is always "folding of the skin if you bend forward. Best to discuss with this one PS in your state.