Is Tummy Tuck Possible for Tummy with Multiple Surgery Scars?

I am considering a Tummy Tuck. I have 2 vertical c-section scars that healed very well. However, there is excess skin on either side of the scars (my younger daughter used to say it looked like a fanny on my tummy, kids are great) and a skin flap that hangs down just above my pubic area.

The scars do not extend above my belly button. Additionally, there are 3 smaller scars from tubal ligation and gallbladder surgeries (laproscopic). I had my first child at 18, second at 20 and am now 43 and would love to have a somewhat normal abdomen. Is this too dangerous to consider, could one be done?

Tummy tuck with multiple scars

+2

If you have enough excess skin, all of your lower abdominal scars should be removed and replaced with a low transverse scar on your stomach.  None of the scars that you have described would preclude you from having a tummy tuck.  Make sure that your surgeon is board certified and be sure to look closely at his/her before and after photographs. Especially look at the belly button scar. I have seen many otherwise good tummy tucks ruined by bad scars around the belly button.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

The scars below belly button is ok, no worries

+2

Since the skin below the belly button is almost always removed, the scars below the belly button will not cause any danger to the result of tummy tuck.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck is possible for tummy with multiple vertical surgery scars

+2

Absolutely!

I have done several such "Butt tummies" and my patients were thrilled with their results.

As long as the tummy scars are in the midline (not oblique under the right or left ribs), there will be no potential interruption of the blood flow through the tummy skin and there should be no foreseeable wound healing complications.

Go for it. You will be glad you did.

Good Luck.

Kids Are So Brutally Honest

+1
And unfortunately are to blame for the appearance of your tummy.
Any scars that are between the belly button and pubic hairline can be removed with a tummy tuck. The trade off is a low horizontal scar beneath the bikini line.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck can remove abdominal surgery scars

+1

tummy tuck or abdominoplasty not only removes loose abdominal skin but it does also remove most of the stretch marks and adominal scars that are located below the level of the umbilicus. During an abdominoplasty procedure in Los Angeles, I routinely am able remove the entire lower abdominal skin, and have it replaced by the stretched skin from the upper abdomen!

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck would remove your scars

+1

The scars of your lower abdomen would most likely be completely removed with full tummy tuck surgery and the laparscopic surgery scars of the upper abdomen  would not present a problem. Smoking is a no no and must definitely be discontinued prior to surgery. Have operated on many patients with unsightly depressed noticeable vertical scars of the lower abdomen will complete removal.

Richard Linderman, MD

Scars below the belly button not a problem for Tummy Tuck

+1

The only way to erase stretch marks is to remove the skin that contains the stretch marks. This is done in a tummy tuck procedure where the skin below the belly button is removed along with any stretch marks in that skin. If the skin cannot be removed, then the best you can do with stretch marks is to fade them to close to your natural skin color. This can be done with lasers and light-based devices. Time will also fade the color of stretch marks. I don't know of any topical products that will do this.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after C-section

+1

Yes it should not be an issue.  Given laxity of skin above the belly button, you should have complete removal of the incisions up to your belly button.

You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to go over in detail what can and can not be achieved.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

By no means!

+1

In fact, a tummy tuck will get rid of most scars and stretch marks below the umbilicus.  As long as you are healthy, don't smoke, you should be fine.  Enjoy.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tuck on!

+1

Wendy,

You sound like an excellent abdominoplasty candidate in my book. Often one of the goals of tummy tuck surgery to rid the abdomen of unsightly scars. You can expect a great result assuming that your other body characteristics lend themselves to a good abdominoplasty candidate, e.g. non-obesity. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD