I Had a Tummy Tuck 2 Months Ago Why Am I Getting Muscle Spasms?

I had a tummy tuck with full muscle repairing April 27 Why am I still getting muscle spasms and swelling?

Spasm after tummy tuck

+3

Muscle spasms after tummy tuck surgery is actually normal, and can be expected. During a tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, the abdominal rectus muscles are reapproximated in the midline, giving that flat appearance to the abdomen. I have had some patients complain about muscle spasms, and it is most probably due to this muscle tissue manipulation. The best thing to do is wait it out, and of course, follow up with your surgeon. It should pass as time moves on. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Muscle spasms after tummy tuck are normal and will subside over months.

+2

You are now about 10 weeks from surgery, so activities may have have returned to normal, but healing and scar maturation have months to go before completion. It also takes 6-12 months for sensory nerves to maximally regenerate, and for lymphatic vessels to heal, regrow, and swelling to finally reach their new baselines.

Muscle spasms can occur as inflammation and scar tissue from your muscle repair go through the same healing process as nerves, lymphatics, and your skin incision. Most patients' scars can take a full 6-12 months to mature fully and fade as much as possible. This is why ultraviolet avoidance (or sunscreen use) is recommended for the same 6-12 months after surgery.

Massage, ultrasonic treatments, gradually increasing exercise, and time will all help your spasms to resolve. The important thing to realize is that these spasms (although sometimes quite uncomfortable) are NOT a sign of any problem, and always get better. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Spasms after Tummy Tuck

+2

This is normal to experience 2 months after surgery. Your nerves are regenerating from surgery and it is going to take some time for them to return to normal. The swelling is also normal. It may take up to 1 full year for both of these symptoms to subside.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Muscles spasms after tummy tuck

+2

The nerves may still be "waking up" at this point.  Try gentle massage of your belly to help with this and the swelling.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS