6 Months Post-Op Tummy Tuck Found out I Might Have 2 Hernias, Will Fixing This Bring Down Swollen Belly?

I had a full tummy tuck 6 months ago and went to another plastic surgeon to ask questions (I moved STATES away from where I had the surgery done) I am still very swollen and tender. Now I may have 2 hernia's (on my sides...i can't remember the proper name) but when I see a general surgeon and it turns out I do have hernia's and they are repaired, will this finally fix my swollen stomach. I paid a ton of money and really want the flat tummy I thought I would get. Will it ever go down?!

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination.

It is very likely that the hernias that are being diagnosed are unrelated to the tummy tuck surgery. It is unlikely that repair of these hernias will result in a flatter appearing abdomen.

I would suggest continued follow-up with the general surgeon in regards to the hernia. Consider consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon as well.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Postop hernias after a tummy tuck.

+1

It is impossible to know whether these hernias are causing your "swollen stomach" over the internet. Follow the direction of your general surgeon as to treatment recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

+1

You have a few issues that over the internet are very hard to advise. Best to obtain a few more in person opinions. 

Answer to RealSelf.com question regarding tummy tuck and hernias

+1

There is not enough information to answer your question.  It would be quite unusual to develop an hernia after a tummy tuck because no muscle or fascia is cut during the procedure.  It is possible that you had an existing hernia prior to the tummy tuck.  There are also other reasons why your abdomen may be swollen after tummy tuck.  If you have already seen another plastic surgeon and there is concern for the presence of two hernias, go ahead and see a general surgeon to have your abdomen carefully evaluated. Good luck.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon