I Had a Tummy Tuck 3 Months Ago, but I Still Have Loose Skin, Options?

Good day! I had a tummy tuck 3 months ago, and I am really happy with the result, except for one tiny detail. Whenever I am bend over, or lying on my back on the bed, or doing a push up there is still some skin that hangs down. My surgeon said he doesn't recommend removing that skin due to that the scar will be a vertical scar along the abdomen. How long is this scar? And can the skin actually stretch itself back so that actually nothing hangs down? Right now I am considering taking it off.

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+2

Depending on your body contours and the reasons for loose skin (weight loss,  pregnancy)  you may need a verticle incision.   Additional healing may occur for 6-9 mos. and i would wear a garment. 

contours are often more important than scars but you will have to make choices.

Area of loose skin after abdominoplasty

+2

I'm glad that you are otherwise happy with the result of your surgery.  First, it's important to wait for full healing before considering any revision.  Second, if revision is necessary, it will be localized.  Finally, and not to kid, I always tell breast augment patients who complain of an area of laxity if they bend over that this is not the position from which to assess whether revision is necessary.  It may be something worth doing but, if the surgeon had made the skin too tight, you could have had a wound dehiscence or another complication.   The skin could retract further as you progress to full healing.  If not, revision can always be performed going forward.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+2

It sounds like you might have excess tissue that could not be removed with the traditional low horizonal suprapubic incision (based on the comment about needing a vertical scar).  This is not uncommon, particularly after weight loss or pregnancy which stretches the skin in different directions.  Without photos, it is hard to know what you are referring to, but I would talk with your surgeon and wait a bit longer for all the final swelling to completely resolve and the scar tissue to mature (this can take 6+ months or longer).   A vertical scar to achieve a flatter tummy may be something that you want to pursue at some time, but many patients are adverse to having a more visible scar that extends beyond the limit of underwear/bikini.  

Michelle Spring, MD

Tummy Tuck Results?

+2

Unfortunately, without pictures or direct examination it is not possible to give you any meaningful advice.   I would suggest, since you're only 3 months out of your surgery, that you allow for more time to pass (and further skin contraction)  before making a final judgment on the results of your surgery and the need for further surgery.

I was just continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon to express questions or concerns  which can be responded best to  after physical examination.

Had a Tummy Tuck 3 Months Ago, but I Still Have Loose Skin, Options?

+1

Impossible to adequately call it without an examination or even a photograph. Sometimes such laxity is a misconception on the part of a patient, in other cases skin was left behind when it could have been removed (IE a technical error) while in other cases the amount of skin which could have been removed with a transverse incision / scar did not address the vertical skin excess (left after the stretching of pregnancy). Depending on YOUR circumstances, you do need to be re-examined and seek a second opinion. You MAY require a surgical revision, even a vertical removal of skin which will leave you with another (vertical) scar.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Tummy Tuck - I Had a Tummy Tuck 3 Months Ago, but I Still Have Loose Skin, Options?

+1

This is fairly common, particularly among patients who had very loose skin before surgery (nothing personal, of course).

You'll need to stay in touch with your own plastic surgeon, of course, because it sounds like you're getting good advice.  There is a limit to the degree of skin tightening that can reasonably be obtained with surgery, particularly a standard tummy tuck (which includes a lower abdominal scar but not a vertical limb).  Adding more scars can improve the contour, but will - obviously - result in extra scars, and you have to decide if that's worth it (from every standpoint).  Sometimes it's better to accept the improved result that's associated with the less extensive scarring.

Each case is, of course, individual, and these are things that you'll have to talk about with your own surgeon in order to decide what's best for you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1

Very hard to advise without posted photos. Best to obtain in person second opinions from boarded PSs in El Paso