Can I Get a Tummy Tuck Minutes After Giving Birth?

I am pregnant now and I'm extremely eager to get plastic surgery after giving birth. You hear about celebrities receiving tummy tucks the same day as giving birth. I would like something like this. I am dreading the post baby fat stomach and don't want to wait. Any suggestions? I live in Philadelphia.

Not Recommended to Get a Tummy Tuck Following C-Section

+1

Abdominoplasty isn’t recommended immediately following a C-section for a variety of reasons. These include the inability to make aesthetic judgments immediately following pregnancy, the mother’s overall health status, and the demands of a newborn child on the mother.

The timing of surgery following pregnancy is important and several issues should be considered before proceeding with surgery. It takes time for a new post-pregnancy body to reach its new baseline following pregnancy, and during this transition, it’s impossible to make aesthetic judgments. During this period, stretched skin may contract, a swollen uterus may shrink, and the weight gained during pregnancy may gradually disappear. This process takes 3 to 6 months and needs to occur before abdominoplasty is performed.

Ideally, patients should be within 10% of their ideal body weight and in good health otherwise. The majority of women who have undergone C-sections aren’t in good physical shape and are therefore not optimal candidates for surgery for a variety of reasons. These may include severe fatigue, a depressed immune system, possible blood loss, an increased potential for infection and elevated estrogen levels which can increase the risk of blood clots.

Finally, the demands of a newborn would make the recovery from these combined procedures very difficult. For instance, the use of postoperative pain medications would prevent you from breast feeding. In other words, the abdominoplasty might impact your developing relationships with your newborn child.

For all these reasons, it’s obvious that C-section and abdominoplasty shouldn’t be performed together. If you’re considering abdominoplasty it’s important to give yourself time to fully recover from your C-section. Once this has occurred it’s appropriate to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon.  

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with C-section

+1

A tummy tuck should be delayed until an ideal weight can be achieved to give the best result in mommy makeover after pregnancy.

The best result will be provided by waiting for the optimal time for surgery

+1

Thank you for the question.  A tummy tuck can be performed in conjunction with a c-section but you must remember that your body is still geared up for pregnancy at that time meaning that you uterus is still large, your tissues are still swollen, and you may be caring some extra weight.  If you want the best result possible for the money spent I would wait at least a couple of months before having an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  This will allow your body to return closer to its pre-pregnancy status and will also allow you to spend time with your newborn without having to deal with the tummy tuck recovery.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck not advised with concurrent C-section.

+1

Although surgeons will occasionally add operations together concurrently, it is done so knowing that these combination procedures don't add significant risk.  A tummy tuck done concurrently with a C-section would be physiologically too much to justify the combination.

Tummy tuck after giving birth

+1

Hello, Leese, thanks for the question. I agree with the other plastic surgeons ... I strongly advise against having a tummy tuck immediately after giving birth. I don't know of any board certified plastic surgeons who would do this, and I would also strongly suggest that you only have your tummy tuck by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Your body needs to heal and 'get back to normal' after 9  months of pregnancy ... you lose weight, your uterus shrinks, the tummy skin shrinks, etc. This process takes several months, and you should allow your body to heal naturally before proceeding with a tummy tuck.

I wish you all the best. 

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

TummyTuck Immediately after Giving Birth is not a good idea.

+1

Tummy tuck immediately after giving birth is not done for a number of reasons.   

Regardless of whether you have a vaginal delivery or a C-section, your body needs to recover from your pregnancy and a tummy tuck will prolong this process.

More importantly, you will have a new baby to take care of, and should not burden yourself with the restrictions necessary for proper post tummy tuck recovery.

Finally, it is best to allow your abdominal skin and muscle tissues to be optimal condition when you have your tummy tuck.  This usually takes at least 3 to 4 months, or more depending on your general fitness condition.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Bad idea

+1

The vast majority of women recover their elasticity after pregnancy and have no need for a TT. You seem to be thinking about asking a surgeon to do something that is likely without benefit and with risk.

Once the baby is born, the intra-abdominal contents are still very large, making it impossible to properly judge the amount of tightening of the muscles and skin that are necessary. 

The risk of blood clots is high for pregnancy and for TT, and the combination would be unacceptably high. 

I may be missing something, but I haven't heard about celebrities having this combination. If I am mistaken, I would not be observing the first case of poor judgement by celebrities and their doctors. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes for a successful pregnancy!

Immediate Tummy Tuck After Delivery

+1

I do not recommend a "tummy tuck " immediately after delivery. While it might be possible from a surgical standpoint, looking at results alone you will not achieve the best possible outcome.  

Immediately after birth your body has excess weight and fluid that was accumulated during pregnancy.  In addition, your uterus is enlarged making it difficult to create a tight  abdominal wall.  I recommend you obtain your pre-pregnancy weight and are sure you do not desire more children before undergoing a  "tummy tuck."  The earliest I perform this surgery after delivery is around six months.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck right after delivery

+1

Dear Leese81,

I always answer this question by saying " 9 months up, 9 months down " !

It will take a while for your body to " snap back " and for some mothers it will be more or less extensive: sometimes 6 weeks, sometimes 1 year or more.

there are many factors to also consider which will make you postpone any tummy tuck:

- is this your last baby ?

- will you breast feed and how long for ?

- are you working at the same time ?

- any other medical problems ?

- do you have a lot of weight to lose ?

- and maybe you are slim and fit, will " snap back ", and will not need a tummy tuck !

so I would suggest you concentrate first on your baby, enjoy motherhood !

congratulations!

Sincerely,

Florence Mussat MD

Florence Mussat, MD

Tummy Tuck Immediately after Pregnancy?

+1

Although your desire to improve the appearance of your abdominal wall is understandable, it is definitely not a good idea (for many reasons) is to have the tummy tuck operation performed immediately after delivery.

If I were you, I would wait  at least (approximately) one year after pregnancy before  seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons.

Best wishes with the remainder of your pregnancy and enjoy your time with your newborn!