Tummy Tuck or Mini Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy with Complications?

I had an emergency C section with lots of complications. I had blood transfusions and they discovered clots in both my lungs (I was actually tachycardic prior to my C section, so they think the clots could be pregnancy-related as opposed to being the result of surgery). I was wondering, would I be allowed to have tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck after c-section with complications including clot (DVT)

+1

Having a previous DVT places you at significantly higher risk for another DVT with or without surgery. Prior to planning any subsequent surgery you should consult with a hematologist. There are certain genetic conditions that predispose you to a DVT such as Factor V Leiden that may need to be tested for prior to surgery. In addition depending on the extent of surgery certain prophylactic measures ranging from alteration in anesthetic technique, compression hose, serial compression devices, and anticoagulation may be warranted. The last of these may place you at higher risk for bleeding with subsequent need for transfusion

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Tummy tuck after pregnancy complications

+1

Tummy tucks are a popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. It is possible to receive a tummy tuck after a pregnancy or C-section. However, if you are C-section had complications it is essential that you work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is well experienced in abdominoplasty, body contouring, and is very comfortable working with the abdominal wall. Your plastic surgeon should receive an operative report of the C-section and other surgeries that have had. This will allow your plastic surgeon to understand what the previous surgeons saw and have to do during your surgery. If your plastic surgeon continues to be concerned about abdominal wall they may recommend that you receive imaging studies such as a CT scan or MRI. Once your surgeon has all your information, they may safely plan your surgery and help you meet your aesthetic goals.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/abdominoplasty_photos.htm

History of blood clots in lungs would contraindicate elective tummy tuck

+1
Your history is very serious. You are lucky to have survived what you went through.

I would not do an elective tummy tuck on you. Although it is a relatively minor procedure the risks with your history are just too great.

Mini tummy tuck after complications

+1

It sounds like you are at high risk for clots to occur again.  You would definitely need a hematology work-up first, but I would probably say that you would still be at significant risk. 

You need a work-up first

+1

I would send you to a hematologist to look into why you had those complications and to characterize the risk of further surgery. Then we could figure out if it could be safe enough for you to proceed. There may be precautions that could be taken.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Too risky

+1

HI.  With your history, the risk of a recurrent, potentially lethal pulmonary embolus after a tummy tuck is significantly higher.  I would not do it any time soon.

It's possible that, after 2 years, you could consider surgery under low molecular weight heparin, to decrease the risk of clotting.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.