How Do I Know if I Should Get a Tummy Tuck or Mini Tuck?

I am a mommy. I now weigh about 150. Most of my weight is in my tummy.... cant seem to get rid of it...

Tummy Tuck vs Mini Tummy Tuck depends on your body and the best way to answer is to have a consultation.

+2

This is a very common question and something that most patients shouldn't know the answer to without being seen by a board certified plastic surgeon. It is at that consultation this question can be addressed. The surgeon will evaluate your abdomen by touching the skin to determine its elasticity, if there is excess skin or is it just a collection of fat and or both. Also the muscles will be addressed to determine if the muscles are stretched and if so they would need to be tightened. If you have excess skin, loose muscles and a collection of fat in the abdomen, then the probability of you needing a full tummy tuck is more likely than not. Usually after child birth the muscles do get stretched and a full tummy tuck is suggested.  

See a board-certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for mini-tummy tuck or full tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. To see if you are a candidate for mini-tummy tuck or full tummy tuck, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck or Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

A Tummy Tuck is a procedure designed to remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal area, while tightening the abdominal muscles.  Sometimes patients may be able to undergo a mini tummy tuck instead of the a full tummy tuck.  The mini tummy tuck is less invasive, leaves the navel intact and requires a smaller incision.  This procedure is usually reserved for patients with only some extra thin skin in the area under the navel.  If the skin is thick, or the musculature is weak, then a full tummy tuck is usually needed.  In order to determine which of the procedures would be the best option, you should make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a full examination and discussion.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Mini TT or complete will depend how overweight you got

+1

complete  vs  mini TT  will depend  how  so thick belly  you have gotten and  excess overweight but  it is crucial to watch for a hide  herniae at belly or umbilicus and also realize a concomitant   lypo

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

You will have to be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon. Most likely, after having children , you will need a full tummy tuck. Rarely, a mini tummy tuck will suffice.

Dr. Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

As always, it is difficult to make an assessment without an examination.  In general however, if you have enough loose skin above the belly button in conjunction with loose skin below the belly button then you are a candidate for a full tummy tuck.  A mini tummy tuck is reserved for those patients who only have loose skin below the belly button coupled with muscle weakness below the belly button.  With a mini tummy tuck the upper portion of the abdomen (above the belly button) remains unchanged.  In my practice candidates who receive a mini tummy tuck are usually happy with their upper abdomen but want some improvement to the lower abdomen region only.  If they have enough loose skin though I usually recommend a full tummy tuck because it is more of a "home run" result

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Tummy tuck vs mini-tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your question, but without a picture it is hard to give you a fair answer.  In general, if your muscle is separated above the belly button, you need a full tummy tuck. Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Need photos

+1
"Weight in the tummy" doesn't really clarify whether you have loose skin, lax musculature or just basically fat in the abdominal region. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Skin laxity, stretch marks and muscle tone usually dictate which type of TT is right for you

+1

Thank you for your question.  The amount of skin laxity and the loss of abdominal muscle shape often dictate whether a full or a mini TT would be best for you.  In addition, if you have many stretch marks on the lower abdomen, it is possible to remove them with a full TT but often not possible with the "mini" TT.  View some web sites, look at before and after images and read content pages.  This will help you with your initial information gathering.  Once you have decided on a few Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, go for a consult and they will be able to provide all the additional information you need to be confident with your final decision.   I hope this is helpfull information.  Dr. Scott Barr

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination or viewing pictures.  Your best course of action is to meet with a few well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Generally speaking, a few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  in my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.