Can You Have a Tummy Tuck (Mini or Reg) in Conjunction with a C-section?

I have had ovarian cyst surgery in 2007, a c-section in 2009 and we're hoping for our second child in 2011. I have issue with where the c-section was done (they cut the same spot I had the prev surgery on) which left a very hangy section of skin. I'm hoping since I know I need a c-section for the second child I can combine this with corrective surgery at the same time? Is this a possibility?

Best time for tummy-tuck after C-section

+3

I would advise against having a tummy-tuck at the same time as a C-section.  It is better to wait at least 6 months after you have finished breast -feeding and lost most of your pregnancy weight before an abdominoplasty (tummy-tuck) operation.  

For purely aesthetic reasons, your results will be superior if you get the skin excess removed after this time. To begin with, it is difficult for the plastic surgeon to judge exactly how much tissue to remove at the time of delivery. If surgery is done too soon, post-pregnancy weight loss may result in recurrence of the deformity and a disappointing outcome.  

Also, from a safety standpoint, it is better to wait, as the risk of complications will be higher if the two procedures are performed simultaneously.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your history and description, you will likely be a good candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point.  Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  For most patients in your situation I also use liposuction surgery as a contouring tool, most often used in the flank areas, mid-epigastric areas and pubic areas. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck AFTER childbirth

+1

It is a bad idea to consider any abdominal contouring at the time of a csection.  As my colleagues have stated, you want to wait at least 3 to 6 months after childbirth to consider any abdominal contouring procedures.  You want to loose your baby weight and stabilize in your weight.   That way you can get the maximal benefit from your tummy contouring procedure.   Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Combining a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and c-section at time of delivery

+1

While a minor scar revision can be performed at the same time as a c-section, it is generally not recommended to undergo a tummy tuck for several reasons. Even if you find a surgeon to do this, it will not  be an aggressive tummy tuck and may not achieve the goals you seek. Concerns with infection, bleeding, poor wound healing, prolonged anesthesia, compromised physiology, wound contamination, etc are all increased during this type of combined procedure.

Can a tummy tuck be done at the same time as a C section?

+1

This is a question that needs to be definitively answered once and for all.

BECAUSE AN OPERATION CAN BE DONE DOES NOT MEAN IT SHOULD BE DONE!

HERE ARE THE REASONS i BELIEVE IT SHOULD NOT BE DONE IN CONJUNCTION WITH A C SECTION:

1. Taking care of and lifting an infant  after abdominal muscle repair is difficult , more painful and may adversely effect the repair.

2.Most often drains are used post operatively.This can complicate caring for the infant in many ways

3.After a pregnancy and C section the muscles, fascias,and skin are stretched and stil under the influence of pregnancy hormones makiing surgical judgements difficult , if not impossible to do a FULL tummy tuck.

4.What about nursing while taking medications Which can be harmful to the infant.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck (mini or reg) in conjunction with a c-section

+1

NO!!!!!!!!! Best way to cause a malpractice claim doing inappropriate combination surgeries!!! Are you not concerned about the child being born? And your survival to mother and raise this precious addition? You need a reality check. Have you even discussed with your GYN/OB?? I think you have not. Please seek guidance. 

Tummy tuck can be combined with a scheduled C-section

+1

Yes tummy tuck can be combined with a scheduled c-section. You should be having a c-section for medical indications for you and the baby. You should be sure that this is your last pregnancy. You should know that your body is not likely to bounce back after the pregnancy because you were stretched out after a previous pregnancy and did not get your shape back. If all of these requirements are met, you are healthy and your plastic surgeon and obstetrician are comfortable with combining the procedures, you can have a tummy tuck as soon as your baby is delivered. I do this procedure and while the risks of infection, bleeding and wound complicaations are slightly higher, in healthy patients the risks are still minimal. The advantages are that you undergo one surgical recovery period and often new mothers have friends and family planning to help with the newborn, so extra help is already set up.  The disadvantage is that you have to heal a surgical wound while supporting the nutritional needs of a nursing baby also. Excellent nutrition during the weeks after surgery is a must.  As is demonstrated by some of the answers already posted to this question, not all plastic surgeons have experience or are comfortable with this combination of surgeries, but those of us who do it have very satisfied patients.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Combining C-Section with a Tummy Tuck is NOT a Great Idea

+1

The reason why most Plastic surgeons prefer NOT to do other procedures in addition to a C-section is that the only benefit to the woman is eliminating another operation. That is, IF all goes well.

But what if there are complications such as bleeding, infection, wound separation, fluid collection etc?  Immediately after pregnancy, the tummy skin is stretched out (not in the final real steady state achieved a few months later), its blood vessels are enlarged (with a higher likelihood of bleeding and fluid collection). To add a cosmetic operation and additional discomfort and worse yet, potential complications, to a woman whose time should be spent bonding with her baby is not a great idea. You will get a much nicer ans safer result by waiting a few months for your Tummy Tuck.

Not done

+1

Can not do a full tummy tuck with a C section. This is due to the fact that the Uterus is very swollen..( holding  a baby!).   So when i am called in to the hospital (Cedars Sinai usually) to close C section scars i just remove a small amount of skin and some of the fat and then close it nicely.  Best results for tummy tucks are when the uterus has totally involuted and gotten smaller  so you can sew and tighten the muscle up.

Good luck.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Tummy tucks and C-sections

+1

Can you have a tummy tuck with a C-section? Yes. Should you have a tummy tuck with a C-section? Generally, no.However that does not mean nothing can be done at the time of your C-section depending on your individual situation. A full tummy tuck is not advisable at the time of C-section for many reasons. But if you just need a small amount of skin removed to reduce the over-hang, a procedure that is even less than a mini-tuck, that might be appropriate and safe if all goes well with your C-sections, It is almost like a scar revision. Consult with an experienced plastic surgeon and have him/her coordinate with your Ob. doctor.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD