Tummy Tuck and Mini-face Lift: Safe to Combine Surgeries?

Hello. Is it safe to undergo a tummy tuck with a mini-face lift at the same time. My tuck is going to take approx an hour and a half and the facelift will take another hour. Is 2.5 hours under a GA dangerous? I am a healthy 45yo.

Facelift, tummy tuck

+1

A four hour operation in a healthy 45 year old would be reasonable. There can  however be some increased risk with combining procedures.

Yes it is safe to combine surgeries

+1

Yes it is safe to combine multiple procedures.  Each surgeon is different and some work faster than others.  If your surgery will truly require only 2.5hr of GA then you have no increased risk of complications.  In my practice I try to keep procedures below 4 hrs, and if a combined procedure is looking like it will last more than 6 hr I would most likely break it up into stages.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Combining procedures

+1

My rule of thumb for combining procedures is that I don't want my patient to be under general anesthesia for more then 6 hours.  Beyond 6 hours, the risk of complications goes up.

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Yes, the combination is safe.

+1

In a healthy candidate, combinations of  procedures has is safe.  Certainly, two procedures carry more risk than one, but the risks are only slightly higher. 

Stephen J Ronan, MD

Combining tummy-tuck and mini-facelift

+1

Your 4 hour combo surgery of tummy tuck and mini-facelift should be safe as long as 1) you are healthy and in a good physical condition, 2) not on immunosuppressive medication, 3) not a smoker, 4)your plastic surgeon thinks you are a good candidate for both procedures.  Many patients like to get combo procedures as they need/want more than one part of body addressed; also, they like to save on cost and recovery time.  Many of my patients get more than one procedure done as long as they are healthy and good candidates for them.

Sugene Kim, MD