Can a Tummy Tuck Be Done During Menopause?

I am currently going through menopause and I am considering a tummy tuck and I am on hormorne replacements. I am having a lot of difficulty loosing the belly weight. Sould I wait till menopause is over? will the weight come back some were else?

Tummy Tuck?

+1

There is no reason why you can't consider a tummy tuck.  Please visit with a board certified PS for a consultation to learn more about your options.  Best of luck!

Dr Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Is it okay to get a tummy tuck during menopause?

+1

thank you for your question.

There is no medical reason why a woman cannot get a tummy tuck during menopause. You should always check with your board certified plastic surgeon before undergoing surgery.  Although there are hormonal changes that occur, these do not influence the rate or quality of healing to warrant waiting "till menopause is over."

If you are a smoker, I would recommend quitting at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery and stay off at least 4 weeks afterward.  This is WAY more important as smoking affects every phase of healing and recovery and scar quality after surgery.

It is also a good idea to get to within 10-20% of your ideal body weight based on your height before you get your surgery.  This is not always possible but is a reasonable goal and will insure that you get the most beautiful result.

Continue to exercise and eat healthy after the surgery (but only after the plastic surgeon has said it is okay to do so!).  The weight can come back and may distribute in the areas that were not treated in the surgery.

Good Luck!

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Menopause

+1

I would estimate that at least half of the women who undergo a tummy tuck are probably post-menopausal. So there is no influence whatsoever of menopause on having tummy tuck surgery. Whether fat returns to the abdominal area is influenced by one's overall weight and diet control. There is no evidence that it shifts weight gain to other body areas.

Web reference: http://www.eppleytummytuck.com

Tummy tuck has no bearing on menopause.

+1

Tummy Tuck can be done anytime of a woman's life.  Menopause has no bearing on this operation.  However it is not a operation for weight loss.  Weight loss should be achieved before getting a tummy tuck to have best result from it.

Menopause is does not complicate a tummy tuck

+1

Getting a tummy tuck during menopause is not a problem, there is no good reason for you to delay your surgery unless you believe that your weight is changing or that you will loose weight in the near future.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Web reference: http://www.torontosurgery.ca/Toronto-TummyTuck-Abdominoplasty.html

Tummy Tuck and Menopause

+1

Having a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) during menopause is perfectly safe, as long as the effects of hormone replacement therapy are accounted for. Generally we urge patients to work with their doctor to stop hormone repalacement prior to abdominoplasty surgery to decrease the risk of blood clots forming in the leg veins during and after surgery. Stopping hormone replacement therapy may worsen the symptoms of menopause, and should be coordinated with your doctor and surgeon.

Your concern regarding "belly fat" prominence may also reflect abdominal muscle seperation if you have had children, and can be corrected with a Tummy Tuck. I would encourage you to schedule a consultation with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon to recieve more information about Tummy Tucks during menopause.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Menopause and Tummy Tuck

+1

Menopause should have no appreciable effect on your abdominoplasty.  Your hormone supplementation should be reviewed with your PS to evaluation any increased risk for blood clots.

Dr. ES

Of course a tummy tuck can be performed during menopause

+1

Yes, you may have a tummy tuck during menopause. However, new data is suggesting that women should not be taking Estrogen hormone replacement for at least one month prior to a tummy tuck. 

Web reference: http://www.aquaplasticsurgery.com

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck during menopause

+1
Many women decide to have tummy tucks at this point in their lives when the kids are older or out of the house and they want to do something for themselves. Menopause often is accompanied by midtorso fat and a combination of tummy tuck and liposuction can improve the appearance. If your weight is fluctuating, it would be good to stabilize it before having surgery. Abdominoplasty isn't about losing weight. You will lose very little in pounds but have a firm, well-appearing abdomen.

Tummy tuck during menopause

+1

Tummt tucks could be performed in any phase of a woman's life. Menopause is , definitely, not a contraindicaion to have an abdominoplasty if you have excess skin and fat in your abdmen. For a person who is receiving hormon replacement therapy, and unstable weight it is a good idea to defer the operation until your weight is stablized around your relistic and achiveable weight.

Web reference: http://mahjouricosmeticsurgery.com

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon