I'm Getting a Tummy Tuck March 26 Can my Whole Tattoo Be Removed and Should I Lose Weight? (photo)

I'm thirty years old with four kids. I'm schedule to get a mommy makeover March 26 and I'm scared!!! Can my tattoo be completely removed and do I need to lose weight?

Tattoo removal and weight loss with Tummy Tuck

+1

Unless you raise your incision, your tattoo will not be completely removed. During the discussion of the surgical plan, you can raise this point with your surgeon to determine if that will be in your best interests. Weight loss will not dramatically impact your results.

Depends..

+1

It depends how high the tattoo goes on the abdomen.  If it is above the umbilicus it will probably end up in the lower pubic area.  If it is lower on the abdomen it may be removed with the excess skin.  You do not need to lose weight.

Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo removal during tummy tuck

+1

Usually you can easily resect at least 1 inch above the umbilicus without any complications.  However, your tattoo extends several inches above the umbilicus.  Your final scar may end up a little higher than normal but the entire tattoo would be removed.  I do not think weight loss will make any difference in this case.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos and tummy tucks

+1

It looks from your photos that you would probably benefit from a tummy tuck.  The normal routine is to keep the scar low on your abdomen to make it less noticeable.  Since your tattoo extends well above your belly button it’s unlikely that you would be able to remove all of it and still have nice scar placement.  I would suggest that removal of the entire tattoo as possible to the top level of the belly button is probably reasonable and this will move the tattoo down much lower on your tummy.  Laser tattoo removal later or just revising the tattoo in its new position may be the best options.  Best of luck, Dr. Kerr

Tummy Tuck - Can my Whole Tattoo Be Removed and Should I Lose Weight?

+1

From the photos it looks like you don't need to lose much weight in order to get a nice result, and that's what you should have with a TT which certainly seems like the appropriate procedure.  As to whether or not the entire scar can be removed - it's possible, but that may not be the best choice.  It CAN be removed if you have a scar that is higher than it would otherwise need to be, but I would advise you to keep the scar as low as you can.  That will move whatever part of the tattoo remains down to the lower part of your abdomen.  I suspect that that will give you the best result, even if some of it cannot be removed.

You should, of course, discuss all of this with your PS who will be able to go over all the options, including what's desirable and less so about each.  I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Will my Abdominal Tattoo be Removed by my Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

A Tummy Tuck will remove ALL extra, loose tummy skin and tighten the loose and separated abdominal wall muscles. When the scar in placed in the transverse groin / low  abdominal crease, we can usually remove all the skin between it and just above the belly button. This may leave the upper margin of the tattoo behind BUT it will be hidden by your underwear. If you want to make sure all the tattoo is taken off the surgeon can raise the tummy tuck scar higher. This will make the scar less hidden but remove the entire tattoo.

Discuss your concern with your Plastic surgeon.

Tattoo removal depends on scar position

+1

Your surgeon can only answer this but it looks like the whole tattoo can be removed IF you can accept having a higher than normal scar.

Can my entire tattoo be removed (photo)?

+1

If you have conventional abdominoplasty, you will have "subtotal" tattoo removal.  The central portion of the pigmentation above your belly button will be moved to the lower central abdomen, but will remain.  There will be NO tattoo above your belly button.  Your surgeon could potentially remove the upper central portion, but this would result in a lower abdominal midline scar ascending from the central portion of the traditional transverse lower abdominal scar in the suprapubic region.

Web reference: http://www.feelbeautiful.com/body/tummy-tuck-san-diego/

Quite possible that your abdominal tattoo will be removed

+1

It is quite likely that all or almost all of your abdominal tattoo will be removed by the tummy tuck operation, depending on your surgeon.  You can state your preference and he/she will certainly try to accommodate your wishes.  Good luck.

Weight loss before mommy makeover

+1

The more weight  you lose before surgery the better your results will be. Most of the skin and stretch marks from your pubic area to you belly button will be removed with a tummy tuck. Your surgeon will be able to better answer the question since you have already had a complete examination.

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com