8 weeks post op, Marathon Training After Tummy Tuck?

I am 8 weeks post-op Abdominoplasty, and want to start running my usual 40+ miles a week for my marathon training. Will I hurt any of my results, pull stitches, hinder my recovery, or thicken my scar recovery?

You should always check with your Dr

+3

I usually allow patients to do what they feel comfortable doing as pain will usually self limit the patient. However, the activity should be in a controlled setting so that there is minimal risk of overexertion and therfor injury to the healing areas. That being said, by 6 weeks you should be allowed to do whatever you want to do as long as you start slow and build up.

As always clear it with you Dr.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Best to ask your surgeon and ease back into it

+3

Al patients heal differently, but most patients should be able to begin to resume their normal exercise routine (easing back into it) by six week after abdominoplasty with diastasis recti repair. Let your body tell you if you are doing to much and back off at any sign of pain. I actually had a patient run a marathon exactly two months after full abdominoplasty, so it certainly can be done.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Your internal Tummy Tuck scars haven't reached full strength yet

+2

At only 8 weeks from your surgery, the internal scars have not reached full strength and you risk having part of the internal work pull apart. Start off slowly walking, some calisthenics, light weights. If it's OK after two weeks go tovery light jogging 1 mile, then two miles, etc. Maybe you can get up to your 40 mile weeks after 4 months. The boston marathon is a year away, and the Olympics longer than that. Take it easy and build up slowly.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD