Good Tummy Tuck Option for Male in Excellent Shape?

I'm a 30-year-old male that has dealt with loose skin after a 50 lbs weight loss in my teens. I've totally transformed and I'm very athletic with well-defined abs, but laxity mostly below the navel and around the lower back. The problem areas are very localized and I hide it under the belt line, and even under form fitting swimwear, with no one suspecting I was obese. But I feel "unfinished." The front skin is very thin and hangs, the back is mostly smooth. Is there a tummy tuck technique that would excise the abdominal skin and provide modest tightening in the lower back?

Mini tummy tuck might be the answer, but will have long scar

+2

For loose skin below the belly button a mini tummy tuck might be the answer. However, there will be a scar which will extend form hipbone to hipbone. The scar is permanent and you will have to decide if the improvement in contour is worth the scar. I would suggest that you have a plastic surgeon draw on you where the scar will be so you can determine if it is something that you can live with.

Mini tummy tuck vs lipo

+1

Consider removal of skin to tighten area. If you have lower belly looseness then you could get a mini-tummy tuck where just the lower section fascia is tightened. If fascia is not loose then lipo. good luck!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy Tucks for men also

+1

A tummy tuck is an involved operation that has three elements:

1. Remove loose skin
  2. Tighten the abdominal muscles
  3. Remove fat

There are many different types of tummy tucks; mini, full, extended, modified, circumferential.  Even though most tummy tucks are performed on women after child birth, many men have loose skin after massive weight loss and can benefit from this procedure.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in male tummy tucks to obtain the best possible result.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Male tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  It sounds like you're in great shape with just a little loose, lower abdominal and lower back skin.  If you'd like to treat this skin, then a tummy tuck will probably be the best option.  You probably don't need the muscles tightened and you probably don't need liposuction.  

Since the loose skin extends to your back, the incision will probably need to extend that far as well.  The scar needs to extend as far as the loose skin.  And if you have well-defined abs, then you probably don't need any surgery above your belly button.

Congratulations again and I wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for a male in good shape.

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Abdominoplasty can be an excellent option for those with extra skin after weight loss.  The trade off is the scar.  Make sure you ask about the back concerns, as treatment of that area, (like all else in Plastic Surgery), varies from patient to patient.   Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  He/She will listen to your goals and come up with solutions.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Lower tummy tuck good option after weight loss

+1

It may well be that a lower abdominoplasty removing the excess tissue below your navel and extending the surgery around the back to contour the laxity along the posterior flanks may well be worth considering. Surgery is done on an outpatient basis and you should take two weeks off from work. It would be best to wait until your weight has been stable for awhile before you consider surgery. Good luck.

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

You sound like an easy case.

+1

Hi! We do a fair number of post weight loss procedures, and you sound particularly straightforward.

I cannot tell without knowing exactly what you look like, whether you need just a lower ("mini") tummy tuck, or a full abdominoplasty. Probably just lower. Also, since it sounds like you just need a "skin only" tummy tuck, there is less pain, and the recovery is quicker.

For any of these options, I use a minimal undermining technique, which preserves the lymphatics, protects the circulation of the skin, and minimizes the risk of a seroma (fluid collection).

The tummy tuck will tighten your love handles and waist, but not really your back. I doubt very much that I would put a scar on your back.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You sound like an excellent candidate

+1

You have done a great job getting your body and health back where you want them. Removal of lax skin in the areas you describe is a routine procedure for a well trained plastic surgeon.  Have 2 or three consults and decide what plan sounds best for you and then go ahead and finish what you have started.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Many variations available to you- all of which might be tailored to your needs.

+1

Hi there-

There are a great many options and variations available to you to help you achieve the result you're looking for-

I would find a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who has a lot of experience in body contouring and review these with them.

I think you'll be happy with what you learn.

Armando Soto, MD

Many options

+1

The key to body-contouring is to first obtain a healthy stable lifestyle which you have. The second is to customize any procedure to match your desires and risk tolerance. Depending on your acceptance of scars and your anatomy, various types of abdominoplasties, belt lipectomies, body lifts, etc are available. It doesn't matter what the surgery is called. It matters what is done. Carefully review your goals and risk tolerance with an experienced plastic surgeon and spend lots of time going over the options and potential complications. You should be able to find a good solution to your problem.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD