Male abdominoplasty for abdomen?

Hello. I am 27yr old male. 10 years ago I lost 140 pounds. I now weigh 164 pounds and am 6' 3" tall. This weight loss has caused loose skin on my chest, abdomen and thighs. I've had a gynaecomastia procedure performed on my chest. I am happy with the result but now wonder what I can do about the loose skin on my abdomen, as per photo. Please could you let me know whether an abdominoplasty would appropriate for my abdomen? Thank you.

Male abdominoplasty can work well

+3

It looks like you would do well with an abdoninoplasty.  You also have some loose skin along the sides so if you want to improve this skin laxity you may also consider a circumferential abdominoplasty.  If you have loose skin along the outer thighs and buttocks you may want to discuss a body lift procedure.

You have done well to get your weight down and now you can consider several options depending on how much correction you want to do.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring After Significant Weight Loss

+2

Body contouring after significant weight loss is common.  The appropriate candidate is a person who has a stable weight, no nutritional deficiencies, in good general health and of course has skin laxity. You meet the criteria for skin laxity and if you meet the other parameters then you would be a good candidate.

Good Luck and congratulations on your weight loss.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Belt lipectomy may be best procedure.

+2

You appear to be an excellent candidate for not only a tummy tuck but are more likely to achieve a superior result with a belt lipectomy judging from the laxity in the hip regions. 

Abdominoplasty tightens loose skin

+2

Absolutely you are a great candidate for abdominoplasty. This is the only way to remove the loose skin as a result of your weight loss. Your muscle tone looks good, and if that is the case, a skin-only abdominoplasty would be appropriate. A low horizontally oriented scar will result, designed so that it would lie within your normal briefs. A small scar around your bellybutton will also be relatively inconspicuous.

Hayley Brown, MD

Stigmata of massive weight loss.

+2

An abdominoplasaty would be a great way to deal with the lax skin and support structures.  I don't know what your back looks like so a 360 body lift might even be the better way to go.

Good luck and congratulations.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Men are candidates for abdominoplasty after weight loss

+2

Hi 108200anon,

Congratulations on your accomplishment.  You did such a great thing losing all that weight.  You must feel terrific.  You are an exellent candidate for an abdominoplasty.  Many male patients do not need the muscle tightened; this can be determined during your consultation with your plastic surgeon.  During your consultation your plastic surgeon will also determine the extent of the scar in terms of how far to the back it will go.  This depends on how much skin laxity you have on the sides and posteriorly.  Good luck.  Send us some postop photos!

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Several possible options for your problem

+2

It is interesting that you show a picture sitting down (or so it seems).  It would be interesting to see a picture of your front and back to see the laxity of the back skin if there is some.  Some patients may require a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty while others may need a more complex surgery called a lower body lift.  Depending on the status of your abdominal muscles you may not need any rectus plication. The abdominoplasty uses an incision from hip to hip, while the lower body uses an incision that goes all the way around the body.

Your best bet is to see a plastic surgeon.  It might be the one who did your gynecomastia as you were happy with the result.  You may also want to seek a second opinion.  Icertainly commend you your 140 pound weight loss and your desire to look as good as ossible having completed that task.  Good luck in the future.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Male body contouring

+2
Congratulations on your weight loss. Now it is time to put the scale and the mirror into balance. The right operation will be dictated by the appearance of your abdomen but also the flanks thigh and buttocks. Males typically carry their weight inside the abdominal cavity but also around the waist.
If the skin laxity is limited to the abdomen and abdominoplasty is the right operation for you. If the excess skin extends around the hips and has effected the buttocks then a belt lipectomy or lower body lift may be needed. Seek out a Board certified Plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring after significant weight loss for guidance.
Based on your photo, I believe you will obtain an excellent result. I hope this was helpful.
Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Male Abdominoplasty

+2

It appears from your photo that you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  With your profound weight loss (congratulations!), you also look as if you would be a very good candidate for a body lift.  This is a much bigger operation which involves an incision all around your mid-torso.  The advantage is that it would also address the excess skin of your buttocks and thighs.

John Whitt, MD

Male Tummy Tuck after 140 pound Weight Loss

+2

Regarding: "Male abdominoplasty for abdomen
Hello. I am 27yr old male. 10 years ago I lost 140 pounds. I now weigh 164 pounds and am 6' 3" tall. This weight loss has caused loose skin on my chest, abdomen and thighs. I've had a gynaecomastia procedure performed on my chest. I am happy with the result but now wonder what I can do about the loose skin on my abdomen, as per photo. Please could you let me know whether an abdominoplasty would appropriate for my abdomen? Thank you
."

No other modality would come close to what an extended Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) OR a Lower Body Lift could do for you. At 10 years after the weight loss, it appears that both your weight and skin looseness are stable. If you want to get the flat tummy you earned you will have to have one of these procedures. The extent of skin looseness will determine the length of the scar.

To understand your options, I recommend you follow the link below. It is a very comprehensive explanation of ALL BODY CONTOURING PROCEDURES AFTER LARGE WEIGHT LOSS.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea