Tummy Tuck or Lower Body Lift While Avoiding Major Scarring?

Is there a more extensive Tummy Tuck where skin is pulled up from the front of thighs or would that just be going into a lower Body Lift?

I was wondering if there is something in the middle ground between these two procedures as I do not want the scar that goes all the way around my waist, from hip to hip would be fine though.

Ways to improve your abdomen and thighs

+1

It used to be that a tuck was the only option for a woman with a bulging tummy. Then liposuction came along, and we could do a smaller procedure with virtually no scarring. However, people who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction can offer.

I don't want to frighten you, but most lifts leave you with unsightly scars. There are many things surgeons do to improve a scar's appearance. Today, we suture almost every incision under the skin, leaving no stitch marks or "railroad tracks." Working with the patient, a surgeon can also best determine the positioning of most scars.

Typical candidates for a tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position. The surgeon typically makes a slightly rounded, horizontal incision from one hip to the other, just above the pubic area. Another incision is also made around the navel, to allow the bellybutton to be loosened from the surrounding tissue.

Lipo works beautifully to trim the outer thighs or dreaded “saddlebag” area through small incisions. The skin on the thighs tighten beautifully after lipo, and the results are impressive when you consider the alternative: a thighplasty (lift), which requires a long incision around the leg and should therefore be done only as a last resort when liposuction falls short of a solution. So you should consider whether it’s the sagging or volume of your thighs that bothers you more. If it’s their volume, liposuction is the way to go. If the skin is very loose, however, a thighplasty will undoubtedly give you a better result, so long as you don’t mind the resulting scars.

Tummy Tuck with tightening of the anterior thigh skin

+1

Hi there-

The procedure you are looking for is a High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty, and it DOES allow tightening of the anterior thigh skin.

In my practice we occasionally do this with a laser procedure for the skin just above the knees, to give the optimal result.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Scars are sometimes better than the hanging skin

+1

If your skin redundancy is signifigant to the point of considering a tummy tuck and a body lift, the question you must answer is whether you would rather have the scars and a better contoured shape or no scars and remain as you are. When you know this answer you will be able to choose your next step.

David Shuter, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift and tummy tuck

+1

Some surgeons call this an extended tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). The amount of vertical lift in the anterior thgh is relatvely minimal and difficult to appreciate without doing a full body lift.

Tummy Tuck or Lower Body Lift involves long incisions

+1

Unfortunately, it's NOT POSSIBLE. These large operation involve many long incisions. incisions lead to scar formation. So if you can not live with scars than do not do these types of operations. Regards.

Tummy tuck versus lower body lift

+1

Pulling skin up from the thighs is done with a lower body lift. A tummy tuck truly addresses only the abdomen. You may not need a full lower body lift based on your question, however. I suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area, preferably one who does a lot of body contouring, so that he or she can give you a more accurate opinion based on your examination. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck VS Lower Body Lift

+1

You asked several questions in one.

While I FULLY realize long scars are intimidating, a better way to analyze the situation and reach an intelligent decision is to go over
1. You particular Goals (Best vs. willing to accept)
2. Your particular body deficits and proposed solutions for each.

Based on this analysis you will reach 2-3 options which would best work for you.

Now - if you have a loose abdominal wall in the front but no butt sagging OR you are not interested in having butt sagging corrected (if you have it) then your options become confined to addressing only the front.

Depending on the amount of sideways excess you have, you could have a FULL Tummy Tuck which may leave you with a flat tummy but with some sideways fullness (depending on the amount of laxity on the hips) OR you could have a Full Tummy Tuck with a Vertical Scar (the so called Lilly Flower "Fleur de Lis" - the symbol of the Bourbon / French Royal family and, by extension, of the New Orleans Saints) which would give you a totally flat tummy and a shorter transverse scar BUT at a cost of a vertical scar.

BOTH procedures can lift the anterior thigh by using a modified Lockwood High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty (HLTA) in which the SFS layer is pulled up, re-suspensing the thigh and smoothing cellulite dimpling anteriorly. I very much like this method and my patients love it!

The choicer of a procedure is up to you. Educate yourself on what you could have VS what you are willing to have and do it. You will not regret it.

To learn everything you need to know about LOWER BODY LIFT follow the comprehensive link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Tummy Tuck versus Body Lift

+1

There is no magic wand to perform plastic surgery without surgery and without incisions. If you want dramatic results, then you need to understand that there will be incisions. If you want average results just to minimize the size of the incision, then don't expect miracles.

David Shafer, MD

Lifts remove skin which results in scars

+1

Hi Annisa,

The only way to lift and tighten the skin is by removing the extra skin. The lift is then closed as a scar. A tummy tuck will not lift the front of the thighs to a very significant degree. Most of the thigh lift is done either on the outer aspect or the inner aspect. A body lift involves lifting the outer thighs through an incision on the hips that extends out from the tummy tuck scar. I don't think there is a "middle ground" procedure that will accomplish much on the thighs.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

You need to be seen

+1

Your problem, and what you want to accomplish determines what operation and hence what scarring you will get. We all want small scars, but sometimes one needs a longer one to get rid of the excess skin.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD