Should I Wait Before Getting a Tummy Tuck?

I'm 5'3" and now weigh 145 lbs after loosing 75 lbs. I have been looking into getting a Tummy Tuck as I have a lot of excess skin. My only reservation is that I am hoping to loose about 15 more pounds and I'm not sure if I should wait. I have been struggling for almost a year to reach this goal.

I am anxious to get rid of the loose skin that hangs around my mid-section, but if I end up loosing the extra 15 lbs after the surgery, would it negate the results of my TT? Would I possibly need another TT?

Patience - Stabilize your weight before having a tummy tuck

+2

First, congratulations!! Losing 75 pounds is quite an accomplishment, and you should be very proud of yourself for having the strength and will-power to do that. Wow!

I know you must be incredibly anxious to now get rid of that excess skin that is such a visible reminder of all that you've gone through to get where you are now. Although this is probably not what you're hoping to hear, you should wait until you lose that remaining 15 pounds and stabilize your weight before moving forward with the abdominoplasty.

You're right; doing the abdominoplasty before you stabilize at your goal weight could cause you to need a second mini-abdominoplasty to get rid of additional loose skin related to losing those last 15 pounds.

Hang in there! You've got the biggest part of the battle over with and while that last 15 pounds won't be easy, you can do it. You should make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who can work with you on not only reaching your weight loss goal but also in planning your abdominoplasty procedure around your weight loss plan.

Again, congratulations, and all the best as you complete your project. Good luck!!

You should be fine to have surgery at this point

+1

Usually, it is reasonable to undergo tummy tuck if you are within 20 lbs of your goal weight. Remember that the tummy tuck will also remove some weight of the skin that is removed, although it is usually not as much as patients expect. On average we see about 5 lbs removed with the surgery. Hope this helps.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Try to get as close as possible to your ideal weight.

+1

You want to have your tummy tuck as close to your idea weight as possible because you will get the best possible result this way. However, losing an additional fifteen pounds after a tummy tuck will not require you to need another tummy tuck. If you a close to your ideal weight but have struggled for a year to get there, I would recommend going ahead with your procedure. This will often inspire patients to lose additional weight post operatively as they feel so good about their new body.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon