Can I Have a Tummy Tuck if I'm Going to Have More Children?

I know that it is not advised to have a tummy tuck if I'm not done having children. I don't plan to have another one within 5 years, and I am DESPARATE to get my tummy back! I'm a dancer and an aerobics instructor, and I can't even show my tummy! AHH! I have very toned abs with less than .5" gap between my muscles.

My problem is loose skin and stretch marks. While researching, I found that it is the muscle tightening that make subsequent pregnancies difficult. So if I don't get muscle tightening, is it okay to get a tummy tuck? Do I have other options? PLEASE HELP!

Tummy Tuck and Future Pregnanacies

+3

You certainly may have a tummy tuck, now, and plan on a normal pregnancy, later.

Even with some muscle repair, the abdomen will respond to pregnancy and pregnancy will proceed unhindered.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Children

+3

A tummy tuck is an extremely effective procedure for addressing excess fat, loose skin, and seperated muscle but should really be performed once you have decided to not have any more children. Although there is really no health risk to you, the risk is that you will most likely undo the results of the procedure. During surgery, any muscle separation (which commonly occurs during pregnancy) if addressed by suturing the overlying tissue (rectus fascia) towards the midline. In addition, excess skin is then excised leaving you with a flatter, toner abdomen. Stretching of the abdominal wall during pregnancy will then most likely undo these results.

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/services/body/tummy-tuck-denver-colorado/

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and pregnancies in the future

+2

You can but it would be a waste of $'s since pregnancies cause the re occurrence of the initial problems. You should reconsider, but we as boarded plastic surgeons will do you surgery after an informed consent outlining the risks of further pregnancies. Regards and Happy New Year.

Mini tummy tuck

+1

It is hard to determine what can be safely done prior to viewing your photos.   However, if you're primary concern is skin excess and stretch marks below your umbilicus, you may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck.   This would involve removal of an ellipse of excessskin, hiding a scar in your underwear line.   I would not recommend muscle plication if you are considering more children.    It may be necessary to undergo revision of this procedure or even a full tummy tuck after you are done with pregnancy.    

Pregnancy and abdominoplasty

+1

Plication of the abdominal wall during abdominoplasty may place a patient at risk of premature labor with pregnancy. 

Web reference: http://www.karemd.com

Having a tummy tuck after frist but before having more children

+1

You can have a tummy tuck now if it is causing you that much distress if you realize that you are aware and willing to accept the fact that it will likely have to be repeated. If you are not conidering having children for several years, it may be a reasonable option but if you plan on having children in the next 2-3 years, I would advise you to wait.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Pregnancy after tummy tuck, it's possible but not recommended

+1

You can have a tummy tuck now to improve your appearance as long as you understand that you may need a revision in the future after your final childbirth. Whether you need your abdominal muscles tightened (plicated) is irrelevant.  Your skin will become stretched out again and you may develop new stretch marks that need to be addressed at a later procedure.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to having a tummy tuck.

Dr. Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Yes you can have a tummy tuck and have more children but you will lose some of the aesthetic benefit of the operation.

+1

You can have a tummy tuck (abdominplasty) and get pregnant again.  However, as your abdominal wall stretches to accommodate the enlarging uterus, some or even all of the aesthetic benefit of the operation might be lost.  Providing you understand this, the operation can be performed.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

You may be a candidate for a "mini tummy tuck".

+1

You may be a candidate for a "mini tummy tuck".  You are absolutely right, if one of my patients states that they are going to have more children then I try to talk them into waiting.

Hearing your situation, you may be interested in learning about mini-tummy tucks.  Performing a mini tummy tuck removes the lower skin from the abdomen and would help remove some of the stretch marks, but does not have to address anything with the muscles at this point.

Performing a mini tummy tuck now, however makes a later tummy tuck more difficult in that you probably will be left with a small vertical scar (where your belly button used to be) because all of the tissue can't be removed from the top of the belly button down to the scar line.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before vs after having children.

+1

Normally I recommend patients to have a tummy tuck done after they are done having children. You can have a tummy tuck before you are done having children but you may lose your entire result due to skin stretching and weight gain.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.