Tummy Tuck After Fifth Pregnancy?

My weight was 112 lbs for at least 10 yrs and I'm 5'5". I am now 126 lbs. I did not change the way I eat. The change in weight started after having my fifth child at age 40. My first two were born in my early 20's and at 36, I had another, and another at age 38. So my last 3 kids I had in the span of 5 years.

My body changed very little after the first 4 kids and my weight went back to 112. It was only after the fifth that I felt the need for a Tummy Tuck because of loose skin. Is it possible for this weight gain to be just the loose skin and loose fascia, and all the other loose things that go along with needing a Tummy Tuck? And if so, would this weight be gone after I get a Tummy Tuck?

It doesn't look like regular weight gain, it looks like loose skin and tissue. I've looked at many pics of Tummy Tucks, and my abdominal area looks similar to a lot of them. Also, if it IS just loose stretched out skin and slack fascia that is making my stomach muscles protrude, then it wouldn't be fat so I would not need Liposuction, right? Thank you.

The answer is "Probably"

+2

While you do describe a picture common to tummy tuck patients it is difficult for me to recommend an operation to a patient I have neither met nor examined. See a qualified local plastic surgeon for an evaluation. Many of us do these evaluations free or with minimal expense. Then you will have a much better idea of your candidacy for surgery.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after fifth pregnancy

+1
A tummy tuck can remove loose skin and some stretch marks as well as repair separated ab muscles, and I think that this is probably what you have considering how many kids you've had. You are right, liposuction would not be necessary and would also be ineffective on loose skin, as it only works to remove unwanted fat.

You would have to see a board certified plastic surgeon in person to better evaluate your concerns and make sure that you can achieve the results you want. Best of luck. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

The benefits of a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. As no two patients are alike, in our practice, no to tummy tucks are the same. We evaluate every patient individually to determine what component of the abdomen needs to be addressed. If they do not require tightening of the muscles and have good quality skin they may be a candidate for liposuction alone. If they do require muscle tightening and they have extra fat and skin in the central abdomen, they may benefit from a mini tummy tuck. If they have these symptoms but also have fat and tissue in their hips and waist, they may benefit from a regular tummy tuck. Your best bet is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in abdominoplasty and liposuction techniques. Such an expert will be able to assess the different components of your abdominal wall and determine which combination of procedures will help you meet your personal aesthetic goals.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tummy tuck helps loose skin

+1

Weight gain after pregnancy will not change significantly from a tummy tuck if you are very thin. A diet will help lose the weight. As for loose skin or poor tone, a tummy tuck will help.

Tummy Tuck will help abdominal contour

+1

Hi there,

You are really asking a few different questions.

It sounds like your abdominal contour probably would benefit from a tummy tuck, in that it effectively improves the appearance of loose, stretchy skin and loose muscles separated by pregnancy (especially multiple pregnancies and especially in small women like yourself).

The issue of your weight is probably not related to the contour changes caused by your pregnancies, though. Correcting the separated abdominal muscles and removing the loose skin will greatly improve your appearance, but should not be expected to produce a significant change in your weight.

The ~14 lb weight gain is more likely to be related to the decline in metabolism that we all experience as we go from youth to middle age (welcome to the 40's!). The good news is that, while the loose skin and muscle roundness will require surgery to improve, increasing your activity and building muscle will help to rev up your metabolism and help you lose some of the weight.

I hope that helps you.

Armando Soto, MD

Weight of skin removed during a typical tummy tuck

+1

At your weight, it is unlikely that the loose skin weighs 14 pounds. On average the weight of the resected skin weighs from 2-3 pounds.