Tummy Tuck to Fix Loose Belly Button?

I had two pregnancies. My tummy is still flat, the skin above (around) belly button are loose, one inch scar above belly button. Will umbilicoplasty solve the problem? Or I have to do Tummy Tuck? I am OK with my tummy, but don't like the scars on belly button.

Loose belly button skin best addressed with minor procedure

+2

When a patient has skin laxity localized to the area surrounding the belly button with an associated umbilical hernia the most appropriate solution involves only addressing the skin around the belly button and the hernia. This is routinely performed in my surgical suite using intravenous sedation on an outpatient basis. The incision is very well hidden, around the belly button, and the umbilical hernia is repaired at the same time. I perform a formal tummy tuck when the excess skin of the abdomen warrants it. 

Unfortunately the only way to correct the loose skin around the umbilicus is to trade it with a vertical scar.

+2

In 13 years of practice I have performed this procedure once and the patient was extremely happy because she traded multiple stretch marks and loose skin with only one line (scar).  An umbilicaplasty will not sufficiently treat the loose skin.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Minor problem may require abdominoplasty

+2

This is a tough problem and I can sympathize with your concerns regarding the large scar. However it may be the best method to eradicate the loose skin around the umbilcus. The trade-off may not be worth it because you have to be willing to exchange the loose skin for the lower abdominal scar which may need to be higher than you desire.

I don't believe umbilicoplasty will satisfy your goals unless you are willing to accept a longer vertical scar whch may be more unsightly than the loose skin.

Tummy tuck will help you the most

+2

You have small umbilical hernia and loose skin . From your pictures you have stretch marks above and below belly button.  Tummy tuck will give the best result.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin around belly button

+1
It is hard to tell from one photo and no exam, but it seems like those scars are pretty far above the belly button.  I like umbilicoplasties, but sort of believe that a good result that would really help you is not possible with just an umbilicoplasty

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Neoumbilicoplasty

+1
Belly buttons can be contoured through an internal scar that can be hidden in the contours of the belly button, and any hernias can be repaired at the same time.  Congratulations on your body contour after pregnancy!

Tummy Tuck Will Improve Skin Tightness Surrounding Belly Button

+1
Sometimes patients present with loose skin surrounding the belly button.This may include significant stretch marks in the area surrounding the belly button.Unfortunately, there is no good operation to simply tighten the skin around the belly button.Significant looseness of the skin in this area usually requiresfull tummy tuck in order to improve the skin tightness surrounding the belly button.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or umbilicoplasty

+1

I would recommend a tummy tuck to correct the loose skin above and below the belly button.   There may be a small umbilical hernia too, that once corrected, will improve the shape and appearance of the belly button.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tuck and belly button

+1

This is an incredible difficult question to answer without examing you.  You may have a hernia and the amount of excess skin that you have is difficult to determine.  Best to have an in person consultation.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is not the solution for the deformity caused by umbilical hernia

+1

As I can see in the picture the patient has an umbilical hernia which  produces unsightly deformity in the navel, it seems that the bulging deformity  may be  perfectly corrected by means of  correction of the hernia and  removing excess skin.

If the patient's main concern are the periumbilical striae these may only   be eliminated by means of  a tummy tuck ,but I think there is not enough sagging  skin  at  supraumbilical level that allows the realization of a tummy without leaving a vertical scar infraumbilical  as a result. On the other hand if the main concern is not striates  but periumbilical fat accumulation  a  complementary liposuction  along with umbilical hernia repair  and  navel plasty would be a solution. Finally, I like to say that tummy tuck is not the solution.

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD