Tummy Tuck to Fix Loose Belly Button?

I had two pregnancies. My tummy is still flat, the skin above (around) belly button are loose, one inch scar above belly button. Will umbilicoplasty solve the problem? Or I have to do Tummy Tuck? I am OK with my tummy, but don't like the scars on belly button.

Loose skin around belly button

It is hard to tell from one photo and no exam, but it seems like those scars are pretty far above the belly button.  I like umbilicoplasties, but sort of believe that a good result that would really help you is not possible with just an umbilicoplasty

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Loose belly button skin best addressed with minor procedure

When a patient has skin laxity localized to the area surrounding the belly button with an associated umbilical hernia the most appropriate solution involves only addressing the skin around the belly button and the hernia. This is routinely performed in my surgical suite using intravenous sedation on an outpatient basis. The incision is very well hidden, around the belly button, and the umbilical hernia is repaired at the same time. I perform a formal tummy tuck when the excess skin of the abdomen warrants it. 

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD

Unfortunately the only way to correct the loose skin around the umbilicus is to trade it with a vertical scar.

In 13 years of practice I have performed this procedure once and the patient was extremely happy because she traded multiple stretch marks and loose skin with only one line (scar).  An umbilicaplasty will not sufficiently treat the loose skin.

Minor problem may require abdominoplasty

This is a tough problem and I can sympathize with your concerns regarding the large scar. However it may be the best method to eradicate the loose skin around the umbilcus. The trade-off may not be worth it because you have to be willing to exchange the loose skin for the lower abdominal scar which may need to be higher than you desire.

I don't believe umbilicoplasty will satisfy your goals unless you are willing to accept a longer vertical scar whch may be more unsightly than the loose skin.

Tummy tuck will help you the most

You have small umbilical hernia and loose skin . From your pictures you have stretch marks above and below belly button.  Tummy tuck will give the best result.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Scars around belly button do I need a tummy tuck?

It is difficult to tell based on the photo exactly what the concern is (and therefore what the solution is). This is an atypical problem therefore I recommend setting up a formal consultation so a physical exam can be performed and your goals discussed in greater detail.

Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

Stretch marks above the belly button are difficult to treat

Stretch marks above the belly button are difficult to treat. A tummy tuck can get rid of stretch marks below the belly button and all the way down to the pubic region, but can't reach the higher stretch marks.

If you are "OK" with your tummy, then so should every plastic surgeon (really regardless of what it looks like!) 
Plastic surgery is about you (not the surgeon!) and it should be directed at your goals.

I have had some (minimal) success with 'stretch mark minimizing cream' by Belli. This changes the pigment of the stretch marks, but doesn't eliminate them in any way, it just seems to blend the pigment difference making them less noticeable. 

Very nice tummy sleepytiredhungry. Get some rest.

Skin laxity above belly button

Thank you for your question, and for posting your photograph.  Umbilicoplasty - making an incision around the belly button and selectively tailoring and moving around the local skin to create a more aesthetically pleasing belly button - is not likely to be a powerful enough tool to eliminate your current scar and give you the result you are looking for.  Tummy tuck, or possibly even mini tummy tuck, would allow the excess skin to be removed, while simultaneously correcting your present scar and creating an attractive belly button.  I'd recommend consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Neoumbilicoplasty

Belly buttons can be contoured through an internal scar that can be hidden in the contours of the belly button, and any hernias can be repaired at the same time.  Congratulations on your body contour after pregnancy!

Tummy Tuck Will Improve Skin Tightness Surrounding Belly Button

Sometimes patients present with loose skin surrounding the belly button.This may include significant stretch marks in the area surrounding the belly button.Unfortunately, there is no good operation to simply tighten the skin around the belly button.Significant looseness of the skin in this area usually requiresfull tummy tuck in order to improve the skin tightness surrounding the belly button.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon