I'm 24 yrs old with 1 child - Tummy Tuck or Liposuction? (photo)

I'm 24 yrs old with 1 child. Didn't gain alot of weight during pregnancy but after I was put on steroids for lupus the pounds started packing on! Of course hardest area to lose is my stomach! I do workout & I know over time everywhere else will slim down also but I do want a jump start on my stomach because it is a real downer:( so I was gonna treat myself because so far I have lost with diet & exercise! So lipo or tummy tuck for a slim tummy?!

Tummy tuck or lipo after 1 child at 24yoa

+1
Hi, thanks for your question and photos. 

Unlike a lot of the responses you have received my opinion differs. You have had 1 child and may want more? By the pigmentation still obvious along your linea nigra it may be that your previous pregnancy is still quite recent? Your lateral photographs do not show a significant degree of loose skin or overhang, rather just a pronounced and full lower abdomen. You are 24 years old. You have a systemic illness requiring steroid use ?ongoing. You are a physically fit and motivated patient.  All these factors point towards liposuction as a preferred option. I accept that your residual stretch marks indicate moderate to poor skin elasticity, however, I would hope that your youth would overcome these. 

Liposuction will never give the same tight abdomen as a tummy tuck and will not remove any of your stretch marks, however, in the right hands it is a safer procedure with a much quicker recovery and little to no scarring. It would probably give you the kick start to further weight loss you need. When you've finished having children, your lupus has stabilised (and hopefully you're off steroids) and you're close to your ideal weight, then I'd give consideration to a tummy tuck. 

Only trust your care to a Plastic surgeon, and ensure they perform many of your chosen procedure. Look at their before and after gallery and consider speaking to some of their former patients. You'll be in safe hands. 

Australia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

+1

A tummy tuck would better control the loose skin and muscle laxity.  Liposuction could be added as an adjunct.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tt or lipo

+1

Dear Elizabeth,

Thanks for submitting your pictures.  Your pictures reveal skin laxity with diffuse strech marks and muscle loseness from the chest bone to the pubic bone. Fat amount appears to be moderate. Since you are working out, it sound to me that you want to be and look in good shape, tummy tuck is your best option. After surgery you will have a flat stomack and there is a very good chance that you will lose a significant amount of weight due to the increase pressure in your stomack. You are 24 years old which is a child bearing age. If you were wondering,  I have patients who delivered a child after tummy tuck and still looked very good. You will be very disappointed from liposuction and I do not recommend it in your case. Consult with an experienced board crtified plastic surgeon.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or tummy tuck

+1

You appear to be a good candidate for either, since your abdominal skin des't appear to sag.  The née fit of the lipo is that it involves tiny scars, a shorter recovery, and less cost.  However, when it comes to the question of which will give you a fatter tummy, the tummy tuck wins every time.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck vs. liposuction - there is a simple answer

+1

Based on your photos, I'd be be inclined to offer a tummy tuck. The fact that you have active lupus and are on steroids causes me to reconsider the safety of this major surgical procedure. If your primary care doc or rheumatologist can get your lupus in 'remission' and wean you off of the steroids, then I'd be more inclined to offer the surgical procedure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or liposuction

+1

Congratulations on being a Mom. I'm sorry about the lupus. Steroids are hard on the body.

Your photos show protrusion of the lower abdomen, suggesting loss of muscle support.

But lipodystrophy - abnormal fat deposits - are common after steroids. To see which is right for you -

1. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  2. If you need a tummy tuck, plan on two weeks' help at home since you have a baby. 
  3. In your photos, you are absolutely right to not show your face, For your personal protection and privacy, you might consider not showing your breasts also - although that may have been impossible this time.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lipo vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

There are pro's and con's to each option.  Based on your photos and the fact that you've had one pregnancy and weight changes, I would likely recommend a tummy tuck with possible lipo of your waist to achieve the best results.  But a formal physical exam would be required to make any recommendations.  Please visit the website link below to learn more about tummy tucks and liposuction procedures. The link contains little video segments that I've made that answers the most commonly asked questions on tummy tucks and liposuction.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Liposuction removes excess fat; a tummy tuck tightens the muscles and removes extra skin.

+1

Liposuction will effectively reduce the fat layer so that when you grab your tummy there is much less to grab, and you look better in clothes.  I think this would be a good option for you.  However, if you want a "flat" tummy, then a tummy tuck is recommended.  It depends on what you want to achieve and frankly how much you want to spend.  Incidentally, you are a good candidate for a vertical breast lift, which will help make your torso look longer and more flattering. 

An advantage of a tummy tuck is that the muscle repair contributes to a flatter tummy.  The disadvantage is the long incision and longer recovery time (usually two weeks off work).  I almost always use liposuction at the time of a tummy tuck to get the best contours and an hourglass shape.  You can see examples of both procedures on my website.  I've attached a link.  Usually patients are not concerned about the tummy tuck scar after surgery as long as it is kept down low, within the bikini line.  If you are planning on having more children in the near future, that is a reason to hold off on the tummy tuck.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

LIPOSUCTION VS. TUMMY TUCK

+1

As the other Dr's stated, there are pros and cons to both procedures.  You might want to consider SmartLipo in your choices. SmartLipo can significantly tighten the skin as well as remove the fat.  This is done in the office with minimal down time as well as minimal scaring. 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or liposuction.

+1

Dr. Rodriquez summarized the pros and cons of these two choices well.  Based on your photos, I am not sure that you will be able to get the results you want without a tummy tuck.  It looks like your stomach muscles are fairly lax. but a physical exam by a plastic surgeon will give you a better answer.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon